Anybody know how to UnInstall Zone Alarm Pro Properly?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 1stwave, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stwave

1stwave Registered Member

A just barely computer literate here and boy could I use some help.

I read lots of good things re Zone Alarm so I went to their download page and inadvertantly downloaded the Pro 15 day trial, instead of the freeware.

It immediatly gave me problems. I could no longer acces the internet. I could get my AOL but could go no where else.

I turned off the Zone Alarm and have to daily to bypass it but I fear that when the trial runs out in a couple of days I'll have even more conflicts.

I've searched for information on how to unInstall it and now I'll afraid to mess with it.

Does anybody have any information on how to safely remove it from my system? The version I have is 5.1

Thanks,

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The keys to successfully uninstalling Zone Alarm is to make sure it is not running while uninstalling and plenty of reboots. What I mean is this:

First, with ZA running, opening its user interface (Control Center) by right-clicking on the ZA icon in the systray and restoring its control center. Select the "Overview" panel > "Preferences" tab > and uncheck the "Load ZoneAlarm Pro at startup" option. There should be a popup asking to confirm this action which you need to allow. This will ensure that at the next reboot ZA is not started.

Then reboot the PC (this is important!). Verify that ZA has not started and even check in Task Manager (ctrl alt del) to ensure none of these is present: zonealarm, zapro, zaclient or vsmon.

Now simply use the Add/Remove Programs uninstall option to deinstall ZA. If you've prevented it from starting and rebooted first, then you should get a clean uninstall.

Reboot again after the uninstall, if it didn't force you to reboot on its own, and check for files. There should not be any, but just in case look in: \Program Files\Zone Labs\ and under Windows\Internet Logs\ and Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\

Almost all problems uninstalling Zone Alarm are related to it either being running or having its files locked because they were running during the current booted session, which is why I advise the preventing of loading at startup and a reboot prior to even trying to uninstall it.

3. OverAndOut

OverAndOut Guest

... comments removed

Lets try and remain constructive, no software bashing.

CrazyM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Manually Complete Remove ZAP
    ============================

WARNING - Do NOT run the ZoneAlarm Uninstall program while in Safe Mode. The program may not be able to make the proper registry changes in Safe Mode, thus generating errors after a reboot.

REBOOT.

To make sure that you can see the ZoneAlarm Plus/Pro system files, if they are still on your computer:
    a. Right-click on Start, then left-click on Explore. When the Windows Explorer panel appears:
    - In Windows 95, 98: Click View>Options (in Windows 98, this will be called "Folder Options"). Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show all files" radio button.
    - In Windows ME, XP, 2000: Click Tools>Folder Options. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button.

b. Make sure you also UNcheck the box to "Hide Protected Operating System Files" if you have one.
    c. When searching, be sure it searches ALL hidden files and folders.
    d. Click OK.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Making modifications to system files may disable crucial functions of your Windows operating system. We strongly suggest re-enabling the "Hide files and folders" feature once all ZoneAlarm files have been removed.

Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C :) or All Local Drives.

Type the following exactly - delete any folders found:
    zonelabs
    "zone labs"
    "Internet logs"

Type the following exactly - delete any files found in \Windows or any subfolder below it, or in your \Temp folder):

vsconfig.xml
    vsdata.dll
    vsdata95.vxd
    vsdatant.sys
    vsmon.*
    vsmonapi.dll
    vsnetutils.dll
    vspubapi.dll
    zaplus.*
    zapro.*
    zlparser.dll
    zonealarm.exe
    zoneband.dll

vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!)

Type the following exactly - delete any files found in any folder with "Programs" in the pathname):

zapro
    zonealarm
    "zonealarm pro"

Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
    REBOOT

NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, removing the files in Safe Mode will allow you to delete the files properly. Click Start, Help, and search for "SAFE MODE" for information specific to your system.

Now you should be able to get a clean install of the new version. Be sure to NOT use the old settings as this can cause further difficulties if the database is corrupt.

6. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Have a look here:

remove ZA

rgds,
    Martin

7. 1stwave

1stwave Registered Member

Thanks so much

I removed the software with no problems thanks to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.