Anybody know about recent AT tests?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by one111, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one111

one111 Registered Member

I can't seem to find anything recent except for AV and AS comparisons

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

There is Anti-Trojan Comparative PDF from March 2006 on AV Comparatives.

3. one111

one111 Registered Member

Thanks, TheTom.
    I was also wondering if there was something a bit more recent.

4. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I don't think you wil find any more recent. AT tests are very rare. And if you manage to find one not from AV-C, it has a high chance of being a bogus test that uses a test set consisting of mostly corrupted files.

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

BOClean was ruled out due to no on demand scan :(
    Trojan Hunter asked to be removed, enough said, :p

Way to go EWIDO! :thumb:

I said this in another thread but I think it bears worth repeating. The Grisoft suite deserves serious consideration if you want a all in one solution. :) :thumb:

Thanks Tom for the link.;)

6. one111

one111 Registered Member

The whole point is that I want to see if things has changed especially concerning TrojanHunter. Gavin has been working hard and with daily updates
    under his supervision I think we're all in for a big surprise.

7. controler

controler Guest

I don't think there is a deticated AT anymore. I think The AT are now ment to pick up all nasties. Is Ewido an AT? Is BoClean an AT? I don't think so anymore. Just waiting to see when the names change to all in one.

con

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just wait for the death of all ATs. In my opinion we don,t need an AT. AV should do this job.

9. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I want a pro at each not a be all do all.I use an a/v for virus,an a/t for trogan,a/s for spyware,etc...Suites I don't care for.As long as they keep BoClean the way it is with their great support I WILL NOT GIVE IT UP,no matter what a/v company does what with a/t.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BoClean is not a pure AT and there is none of them infact. Those who seem purely AT are rather poor in detection( in above test). And those who appear good are much more than AT. Even the best AT is poor than a good AV in trojan detection so what,s the point in using them.
    I can use AVG AS as an extra layer but I will use it as an antimalware( for worms, trojans, spyware etc) not as a pure AT.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  11. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

In general I also dislike suites for a myriad of reasons. However, I think that the computer security market is increasingly moving in that direction. Eventually, I think there won't be much of a market for stand-alone anti-spyware, anti-trojan, anti-virus, etc. So that I don't hijack this thread, I've created another thread on this topic here

12. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Say and do as you will with your computer as I will with mine.I posted this before and will repeate it now.If one part of any want to be,do all suite is cracked then chances are the whole suite can be cracked and fall.

13. walking paradox

You seem to be implying that I'm in favor of suites when in fact I never said anything remotely in that direction. To the contrary I've stated that I dislike suites.

14. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

My reply is general and not to any one person.

15. walking paradox

My apologies for the misinterpretation, but given that I was the only one discussing this topic, it might have been a good idea to preface your post with a 'in general' or something along those lines rather than just a 'Say and do as you will. . .' Regardless, its not that big a deal, and I'm just offering you a suggestion for future reference so as to prevent the miscommunication in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  16. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Thank's,but not needed.

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

My opinion of suites is well documented here. (Who cares right?:D )

I don't care for them either, however, I think they are the future of PC Security.

I often wonder down the road where BOClean will fit in. I think it will have a loyal following, but really I do wonder if it one day will not go the way of Ewido and marry an AV. :doubt: I also wonder why there can not be a test of BOClean without having it scan a disk? I would think one could test it's effectiveness without a scan test. :doubt:

18. walking paradox

Damn the masses of computer illiterate consumers who are shaping the market and pushing it in that direction :D

That'd be my guess, or else just dissipate altogether.

I think it is entirely possible, it would just be harder to do. Path of least resistance anyone?

19. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I agree that these so called test sites need to put BoClean to the test.

20. controler

controler Guest

I am sorry for the missunderstanding. I didn't mean a suite. I ment programs such as BoClean do catch more than just "Trojans" and have for along time.

controler

21. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

They (probably) never will....they will have to do it by executing malware one by one and there aren't any capable testing sites that will do that i'm afraid, because it will take too much time/effort.

22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Very likely scenario with them still only charging a onetime fee.

23. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Boy, if you didn't hit the nail on the head!

24. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Yeah, damn all those idiots who can't and don't want to spend countless hours deciding which 16 separate "anti-malware" products to use, and which work together, and then spend even more countless hours getting them all configured and happy, and not crashing their system too frequently.

It may sound strange, but most people actually want a simple security solution that covers everything, and that allows them to put it out of their mind, so they can use their computer for other things. Not everyone uses their computer in large part to toy with security software (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I used to despise the very idea of suites, but now that they have come to the forefront, I appreciate the impact they have had. It used to be that anti-malware market compartmentalization really lended itself to buck-passing of the highest order. That "Oooooo gee it's just soooo wonderful" anti-virus software missed 300 trojans? "Hey, who cares? It's not an anti-trojan! Go use an AT for that! That fanboy AT missed a blended threat? "Hey, who cares? It's not an anti-virus! Go use an AV for that! These days are thankfully gone, and any AV that misses lots of trojans sucks, pure and simple. No more excuses.

25. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

*I don't think you need 16 anti-malware apps to protect your system.

Understandable, I myself started with suites. I believe each vendor has their own nich at what their good at developing. I have never found a suite where I liked every thing in it. I would just hate to see stand a lone apps go by the wayside because most folks want to use a suite because it's easier. It seems like a lot of people that buy computers don't want to know anything about their OS,*security,etc. They want to plug it in and use it and that's it. Those are the ones that end up posting HijackThis logs frequently rather than just take some time to learn and understand. Each of us pay a price on how we choose to do things, whether it be the time invested in learning or posting logs.

I agree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.