any way to encrypt whole pendrive USB stick

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lucd, Jun 20, 2019.

1. lucd

lucd Registered Member

a secure and good way of encryption, without containers or zip archives and pendrive's own crappy software, 128 AES is good enough
    I know you can encrypt drive with veracrypt, even system C but I don't want to create safe containers inside the USB stick. Upon USB insertion I want to receive a prompt to enter password without the possibility to access the drive's space, write, execute or read data from it

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

There is no software solution to forbid reading from and writing data to pendrive. Even if there would be (there isn't) standard flag to forbid that and Windows Explorer/File Explorer would behave consistently with that standard (that does not exist) 3rd party software for Windows and Linux commands may not behave in that way.

3. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

If you encrypt the entire pendrive partition, and insert into a random Windows machine you will, as you know, be prompted to format because Windows by design rejects any format it doesn't understand.
    Now, with VeraCrypt installed on the machine, you can install as a service and set up the drive as a favorite volume and in that case you will be prompted for the password on insertion.
    Why are you opposed to a file container? If you create a file container on the drive, Windows will recognize the pendrive as a normal flash drive and not try to format it. Just make the container 99% the size of the total drive.
    If you can't make it work this way then maybe you should look at IronKey. I've never used one but I don't think their software is "crappy" and it might be able to do what you want. Not cheap though.

4. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

With Linux and LUKS it is pretty easy, you just have to format it Ext4+LUKS, set your password and you are done.
    With Win you might try Bitlocker.

5. lucd

lucd Registered Member

I believe file containers are not ideal since any action on the usb is still visible in form of traces, shadow volume or deleted data, thats why blocking whole access to drive tout court is better

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.