any way ess v6 can scan for

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by zfactor, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

scan for tracking cookies.i have a couple customers that want to switch away from norton and asked me what i use i told them ess and they want to know if there is any way to get it to scan for tracking cookies or will this at all be implemented in the final release. for the average user it make them more confortable i guess with a suite that does this for them. i know they are not technically virus' but....id love to get them to switch but not sure they will, this is also not the first time ive been asked if it scanned for them and i knew v5 did not so with v6 is there a setting or any way this might be included in a upcoming release?

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was reading something about flash tracking cookies or tracking cookies that are saved outside the browser space. I would have to go back, and find the article. They behave more like a virus. It would be good if Eset detected them. I don't allow third party cookies or tracking cookies. I only allow session cookies, and they are purged when I close my browser. Many sites will not work if you do not allow session cookies.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah afaik ESET doesn't classify tracking cookies as dangerous (since they are not) but I do understand that some people would get the feeling as being more secured if there were detections in place for them.

Though personally I think it would be easier to just clear them out from within the browser itself as it would have the same effect as if ESET would detect them, only that you do the job yourself. :) Or by using CCleaner as I do.

As for the Flash tracking cookies, they get cleaned out by CCleaner that I run after that I have closed the browser, plus the normal tracking cookies too. Very simple :thumb:

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

At the time, there are not plans to detect cookies. While some cookies may be used for privacy-invasive tracking purposes they are not malicious like a computer virus, worm, Trojan horse.

There are numerous add-ons available for web browsers which block, delete or otherwise prevent cookies.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. zfactor

as a business owner i can tell you guys that a lot of business is lost because of this for eset. when people that know something about av's come in and either ask or tell me thats why they dont use eset (and yes i might agree its not something very important and maybe it sounds odd people wanting this feature but i assure you this is true) but use one of its competitors i think it would be a good area to look into for eset personally. and i am not at all trying to be disrespectful to you guys just its a question i do get asked a few times a month and those people will look elsewhere. most of the av's now in their newest form are now detecting them. i love eset personally been with you guys for a LONG time so please just take it as a suggestion.

6. encus

encus Registered Member

I definitely want to see ESS 6 to be able to detect tracking cookies like Norton.

Cheers ;)

7. deputy963

deputy963 Registered Member

Well, they don't really know much about AV software, do they?
    Why not take the opportunity to educate your customers with the truth about cookies and the fact that many companies detect cookies so that the user "believes" the software is actually doing something positive?

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, I would say that it is positive because no one wants them, but a little bit unnecessary for an AV perhaps :)

9. zfactor

no offense but i do explain this to them. the issue is when they are used to using an av that DOES detect them they want to specifically know why eset does not. and i deal with a lot of older people in my area who are set in the ways they choose and they simply will say nah ill keep x av im using because it detects more than eset does. and this is a fact and i have had it happen. there are many i turn around but a lot still think it needs to be there. been doing this for almost 25 years so trust me i know how to deal with clients who i also deal with some VERY large accounts and one in particular has their own it guy but they buy parts from me i give them great deals they in fact asked about buying 300+ lic's to eset and the fact it does not detect the tracking cookies was just one of the reasons he decided against it as i said i can decide for him he is the head of IT there.

10. deputy963

deputy963 Registered Member

No offense taken at all!
    If the guy is managing 300+ seats, is worried about tracking cookies on client machines, and doesn't have a better method than a client side AV he has bigger things to worry about!
    Scary! :eek:

Sorry I took this OT, but the whole "finding" cookies and declaring they are harmful to "show" the customer your product is effective thingy going on with AV/malware software ticks me off.

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I will pass this on to product management because there may be some kind of market for centralized management of privacy issues, but do keep in mind that from ESET's perspective, it is an issue of privacy and not considered in the same vein as malicious software. Also, there there's quite a healthy ecosystem of free applications available out there to manage things like cookies, albeit without centralized management.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I agree with you when you say that this is a privacy issue and not in the same vein as malicious software but, since you're adding Parental control in your software.... I feel there is room for the tracking cookies in there.
    Think of it like another module to be added along with the parental control, like, don't peek in here, my kid's at the PC right now.

Or something like that. Then, you can leave it disabled like it is now and if someone wants that protection they can just enable it and be done.

Of course, you would have to change the name of the module since Parental Control would now be a part of that new section along with the Tracking cookies.

FYI, this is just a suggestion, personally I don't care about them cookies since I use Opera and it just deletes them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.