Any video tutorial

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Frankfree, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankfree

Frankfree Registered Member

Hi

Sorry I am just very busy and have problems with my eyes. Can't go into many documents. Is there any video tutorial I can learn about

System Restore section of the returnil

In Virtual Mod/ FileManager / define list

I added a folder and I do know exactly what I did but the folder I defined there is not full of files that I do not know what to do with them:)

Any body please help me understand what I did and if it is safe to delete them.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Frankfree and welcome to the forums :)

First, you are discussing two entirely different parts of the software here: System Restore and saving content to the real disk with the File Manager.

So lets start with the File Manager:

What you did here was to add a folder to your File Manager List which will force RSS to save any changes made within that folder, its sub-folders, and any files that are in those folders. If I am correct here, you probably did something like the following where I have added the "Documents" folder on my test system:

Ref: capture.jpg -> Capture1.jpg -> Capture2.jpg -> Capture3.jpg

As you can see from the final screenshot in the series above that there is now 0 files and 1 folder "defined". As discussed above, this means that all content and sub-folders within that defined folder are added to the FM list and any changes made to this content will be saved to the real disk WHILE YOU ARE IN VIRTUAL MODE at the intervals selected (none selected in my screenshots).

The fact that the image shows "0 files" simply means that I have not selected any SPECIFIC files to my FM list and not that any files within the defined folder will not be saved to disk as appropriate.

If you do not want the folder added to the File Manager list or at some point you no longer want to have changes in the defined folder saved to the real disk, you can simply select the item in the File Manager list and then click the delete button to remove the specific line item.

The System Restore feature is completely different and is akin to the native Windows System Restore. In fact, the component is based on that feature of Windows with some extras such as:

1. Automatic antimalware scan of the most recent restore point available with an option to scan a different restore point should the most recent one not be optimal for your purpose.

2. Intermediate details screen where you can determine if the selected restore point is the one you actually want to use with an option to return to the general available restore point list to select a different restore point.

3. Undo snapshot: This option allows you to recover a file or files from the system state just prior to applying a specific restore point.

4. When the System Restore real time monitor is active, any restore to a previous time; regardless of whether that restore was made from within RSS, Windows, or any other third party restore solution; is recognized by RSS which gives you access to the same ability to recover specific files from the previous machine state just prior to the restore event.

Mike

Attached Files:

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Good morning, Mike.
    OP asked for video tutorials because of vision problems. Good question.
    I'm sure others would be interested too.

4. Frankfree

Frankfree Registered Member

It is a good way to advertise returnil too:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.