Any tricks to clone a disk, then boot from it?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by raymm, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raymm

raymm Registered Member

On an old version of Ghost, I had to remove the cloned disk before rebooting, otherwise some mysterious number would be written to the cloned disk and it wouldn't boot.

I hope it is easy to use Home 2009 to make a cloned disk and boot from it.

Are there any tricks I should know about? Or it it just clone to a second disk, then insert the disk and boot from it?

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If you are using windows xp, make sure you remove the source drive before you bootup with the clone (don't bootup with both drive connected at the same time). Also make sure that the "source windows xp" doesn't see the drive it will be restored on, otherwise you might get "partition ID" drive letter problems.

If you are using a laptop, you might want to do a "reverse clone" , this will prevent CHS geometry problems that will prevent the hard drive from booting.

1. If your cloned drive boots up and hangs/reboots at the logon screen, more than likely you have drive letter problems.

Vista is more straightforward and doesn't cause many problems when restored.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, in Acronis True Image Home 2009 it is necessary to remove one of drives prior booting after clone. jonyjoe81 is right, you should avoid two drives plugged at the same time to your PC, otherwise it may cause boot issue.

And also your system can assign new letter to cloned drive if you boot with both drives attached. Please check this article for more information.

Detailed information about Acronis True Image Home product can be found in User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

5. vuong

vuong Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a question about clone disk:
    Can I clone a source drive (500gis) to a destination drive (250gig) with only 200 gig of data in it ( in the source)?

Jimmy

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You should be able to do that. A few days ago I cloned a 30gig to an 8 gig - there was just the basic install of the OS on the 30gig, so there was lots of room for it to fit on the 8 gig.

7. vuong

vuong Registered Member

Thank you DwnNDrty

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jimmy,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Yes, you are able to perform the desired operation. You should select Manual clone mode.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.