any reliable eraser/wiper to erase/wipe files w/ long names?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

hi there,
    w/ eraser and r-wipe&clean, i can't erase certain files w/ too long names. i know that it's about windows and ntfs file system. but is there any sw i can securely erase/wipe those files?
    p.s.: i heard that esat tec eraser can handle that but i didn't have the chance to see it for myself. is it true?

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Those can be tough. What many have done is use the NTFS version of Directory Snoop (free for 25 uses) and find the file (simple) and use the "purge" function. Its gone forever.
    http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm

Edit for correct URL.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Siberianwolf, can you kindly provide more details on the problem you are experiencing? I personally use R-Wipe&Clean, and have never encountered an NTFS file that it can’t wipe.

Based on my own tests using WinHex, it appears that R-Wipe&Clean overwrites a file’s name with a very long (256, I believe) character string on an NTFS volume. Of course, a file’s name may still reside in C:\$LogFile even if it is destroyed in C:\$MFT -- but, that’s a different issue.

4. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

This is how Evidence Eliminator renames filenames:

Wiped files were renamed with 243 characters with no filename extensions. All except the first 10 characters are pseudo-random combinations of lowercase letters. The first 10 characters are numbers that increment by one for every file wiped.

Example: 0000002825wtkdvjiiugvwgveodruvlmdptxgpgfyrqnxpxyjajk
    qrienrnebnzhoshuyfzhdvzvvvveszlikswlhqpwbetowmznlvzquveyvhkrk
    cidsmpgpjrxjgpzaxcffvdxynlxiikdnhgachijkuajmdfdcvxbupesrwdyykqf
    ckndbqwittwnyfmtcesftoxtyrnfdwwoblkpcvzwseokhydmcvtvodbrwyv
    vmewuoge

http://www.first.org/conference/2006/papers/geiger-matthew-slides.pdf

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Siberianwolf, the Microsoft article You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume may be of interest.

My understanding is that any one component of an NTFS name/path can be up to 256 characters, with a total maximum length of 32,767 characters (see here).

Actually, when you rename a file on an NTFS volume, the same $MFT record is reused. You can verify this empirically by using a disk editor (e.g., WinHex).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.