Any reason NOT to switch to Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ejr, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

:) For Firefox you have plenty of tips here. For Cookies, i prefer CookieSafe, which works as Noscript but for cookies.

As for Opera, it doesn't have extensions, but there are widgets, although they won't do what some ff extensions will.
    Opera for functionality has everything imo. It can do what Noscript does and all that, but not as simple. It's one of the disadvantages to FF.:doubt:

BUT, FF won't do some things Opera does. There are extensions that mimic these functions, just not as simple. And you have to look for them. Like the session manager, Opera has the best. If you close Opera, next time you open it, presto, it opens just like you left it, with all the tabs from the last session. And you can save sessions, to return to them when you like. The trash, mouse shortcuts...

Try them, and let us know your preference.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I forgot Tab Mix Plus, with an excellent Session Manager.
    Mrk

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

With Windows, you can be secure: common sense, policies, firewall, antimalware, etc.
    With Linux, you are more secure by default. This doesn´t mean that you should forget good practices.
    It´s the same with IE and Firefox.

With Firefox you get:
    -A better rendering engine which is free, open source and standard-compliant.
    -A browser that isn´t embedded in the OS and don´t use the crap called ActiveX.
    -A portable and multi-platform app.
    -A much better way to manage scripts, cookies, add-ons, ads, etc.
    -A browser which you can tweak for your needs.

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

very true, (in the strict context of the thread) but by now you know my song :p
    Depth of defense

give the AV a shot while your looking at in the sandbox
    use a HIPS, rule based firewall, hardware NAT, checksums, security benchmarks and extensive logging.

errr...in Windows (see sig)

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Exactly right. There's a lot of tilting at windmills and Chicken Little comments in this thread IMO.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

What does that mean?

7. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

think it means we keep crossing over the macro and micro viewpoint line
    the personal and the common man touching on the ethical, metrics, and the real impact on the sophisticated and on the rube. In other words its a mess of viewpoints :p

But if Im going to be cast as Don Quixote
    I'll have Mrkvonic as my Sancho :p
    being painted as quixotic is apt facing these odds

as far the subject of the topic
    de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Please guys, see the Acid2RenderingTest which can be found here
    Running on Opera 9.10 b8666, I get a perfect match. FFox can't get even close, not to mention IE.

Holding right button and moving mouse to left or right does it even more easily...

Don't be ridiculous... Check some security site, say Secunia or HeiseSecurity for instance, compare the frequency of flaws of the three browsers, the speed at which the vulnerabilities are corrected, and the level of danger of those vulnerabilities. Opera is near perfect. Firefox is far behind, IE is left in the dust.

I guess pressing F12 may be too complicated for you!? ;) Come on... You're embarrassing yourself.

Opera classic installer is available here, and is a mere 3.9MB download, full featured and complete, ready to go. This speaks volumes regarding the precision and care the Opera team has put in this browser over the years. Compare the respective dimensions of Firefox (without extensions of course) and, even more spectacularly, IE at download. The differences are so huge it's a joke.

One may champion any browser one likes, but -like it or not- there's no escaping the fact that Opera is the Norwegian Ferrari of the Internet.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

This is also Opera's weakness, because it is perfect browser for perfect web.
    Unfortunatelly, most webpages are not valid, so they just do not work in Opera.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you use Opera... ;)

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I haven't customised FF; I use it "out of the box". I believe in simplicity, and I've even stripped down IE7 by removing some icons from the toolbar. Less clutter, the better IMO.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

How is pressing two buttons that are next to each other harder than pressing one of them and moving the mouse??:eek:
    Even if it matters for you the nanoseconds apart:eek: , i think you'll find the buttons much quicker, not to mention easier...

13. dylanfan

I surf the web for hours a day, and still have to find any webpage I can't display in Opera. Any pointer?

14. dylanfan

Hi
    The trouble with that is that FFox lacks some necessary features if you don't use extensions (adblocking, mouse gestures, NoScript, and so on). All are built-in in Opera.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the websites i have tryed in opera work fine and i now use it everyday.
    the only website that wont are like certain bank sites that think its better to use IE.
    or sites which use activeX
    lodore

16. dylanfan

:) Your method needs two fingers, mine only one.:D
    Cheers

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

even the microsoft vista site works fine with opera lol.
    lodore

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's very normal that now a huge % of websites works fine in Firefox, Opera and other browsers, because much more users are not using IE and this makes that webmasters have to improve their websites to add compability and use the standards... :)

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I tried FF and Opera side by side for a couple of months before picking one. Opera has some neat tricks, but I found it geared to the younger crowd, maybe in their teens to twenties. This is most obvious in "communities". Being 67, I don't need cool funky features. I think the side bar was a bit annoying too. Not being able to access certain web sites was the thing that was really annoying. My memory of Opera features is a little fuzzy now since I made the decision to go with FF full time some time ago, but although Opera was nice in some respects, I like FF better. :D

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used to use firefox as my main browser but now i use opera and use firefox less. you can get most of the stuff i used extensions for in firefox as bulti in in opera.
    lodore

21. dylanfan

?!?There's nothing annoying about the side bar since pressing F4 simply makes it disappear instantly.
    Again, please point me to any of these sites - I know of no one.
    That's fine with me, no problem to me if you like FF better ;)

Cheers

22. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Sure, its easy to find them Here :D

23. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Q: Any reason NOT to switch to Firefox?

A: in a word, NO

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the pages that dont work in opera probaly dont work in firefox eiether cos they meant for IE lol.
    lodore

25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, the only cases i'm aware of, are websites that build for IE, not standards. So it's not Opera and FF's fault. If those sited aren't important, add them to blocklist:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.