any problems with this usb2/firewire enclosure and CD boot?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by agren, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agren

agren Guest

I was thinking about getting the Super Talent USB 2.0/Firewire Combo 3.5" External Aluminum Enclosure (HD-35COMBO)

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=HD-35COMBO&src=fr

And I was just wondering if it should work ok when booting from CD or if there were any better ones out there

thanks

2. agren

agren Guest

3. rbs

rbs Registered Member

agren,

I am having a problem with the image on my external USB HDD not being found. I made this drive myself, it is a 30GB Toshiba laptop drive I had put into a white box USB 2 enclosure. Has 3 partitions, only one of which is found when I boot to the Acronis boot CD. That with a new purchase download of Acronis (build 903) and an updated and patched IBM T23 running W2K.

You are right in trying to check these drives out. I am very disappointed with the flaw which essentially makes my newly purchased backup software useless.

I will be watching your thread in hopes that someone comes up with something I can use to make Acronis work. Seems to run well and be stable and all, but won't do the one thing I need it to do.

Reid

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello agren,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

External hard drives and adapters you have listed, should work fine with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 both from under Windows and when it's booted from the special Bootable Rescue CD.

I recommend you to try the free trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0 to see how the software works on your particular hardware configuration prior to purchasing the full version of the software.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

In case you will be satisfied with the work of the trial version, please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

If you are planning to purchase many copies then please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

6. mdburkey

mdburkey Registered Member

I've played with a lot of USB2 and Firewire bays and have generally come to the following conclusions:

Prolific chipset based combo units should be avoided. Period.
    With the most recent firmware, their USB2 support works ok under Windows and relatively well under Linux (i.e. Acronis). However, their FireWire/1394 support has a nasty tendency to flake out even under Windows and just blatantly does not work (or corrupts data) under Linux.

I have had the least headaches with Cypress AT2 based bridge boards for USB2. They are reasonably fast and in my experience have generally seemed to work pretty well with Acronis.

For Firewire/1394 support, go with an Oxford 911/922 series chipset. Accept no substitutes! They work VERY well with both Windows and Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.