Any problems with FirstDefense?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by David S, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David S

David S Registered Member

I just purchased Acronis True Image v. 8 and was reading the post here and saw that there were special steps you had to take if you were using it with Norton Go Back. I've never used Go Back so I'm not that familiar with it but I am using Raxco's FirstDefense which I believe is somewhat similiar. Are there any conflicts or special steps that I would need to take?
    Thanks for any help provided,
    David

Raxco FirstDefense

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use True Image 8 with First Defense. Only thing I try and remember to do is to go into First Defense and disable the Preboot. This removes First Defense from the MBR. Other than that no. Note that your ATI image will be twice the size as it is picking up everything. I have timed imaging the disk with a First Defense snapshot vs removing the snapshot, imaging and rebuilding the snapshot. Quicker just to go ahead and image with the snapshot.

Pete

PS Unlike with Goback, which when you disable you lose everything, with First Defense you don't. Just remember to re enable the preboot.
    Note also disabling the preboot may not be necessary. I can image with it enabled. I just haven't tested the restore.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We haven't tested Acronis True Image with Roxco First Defense, however we haven't hear of any compatibility problems except the one Peter2150 mentioned. You may download free trial version of Acronis True Image from our site http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ to see whether it works properly with your system. If you encounter any problems please contact Acronis Support Team via e-mail support@acronis.com with the description of the issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ilya

Not sure what I mentioned is what I'd call an incompatibility. Question basically is if something like First Defense modifies the MBR, and you image it with True Image, then do a restore, will you have any boot issues?

Turning of the preboot of First Defense is a 10 sec exercise.

Pete

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter2150,

If you create the image of the whole disk the MBR will be backed up. When you restore the image of the whole disk MBR will be also restored. It doesn't matter whether MBR was changed by any other application or not.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.