Any point in keeping Windows System Restore?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Just wondering if there is any point in keeping the inbuilt "Windows System Restore" enabled when you are running First Defense_ISR?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Disable "Windows System Restore", because you don't need it anymore, when FDISR is on board. All FDISR-users do this.
    You also will save space on your harddisk.

3. beethoven

Thanks - I kind of expected this answer :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Since I use FDISR, first thing I always do on a new system is turn off system restore.

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

How much space are you actually saving? And is there any other downside to keeping system restore ( i.e extra services, security holes etc.)

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Only things I can think of is that you would be copying all of your restore points over which you will never use, as FD is the best system restore there is.

Also restore points need space, no point in filling up your hard drive with things you won't need. Especially with vista, it's restore points use up more space than xp.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Everything mentioned is true of course. FD-ISR is a 100% COMPLETE SYSTEM RESTORE! and so much more, plus a resource saver. It's just that good. :)

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I disabled this in Vista even before I had another backup/recovery solution in place.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The space save is insignificant. However, System Restore is a big source of fragmentation and background I/O activity.

10. ErikAlbert

What are you going to do with Windows System Restore, when you can't even boot in Windows due to a frozen BSOD ? In such a situation, WSR is completely USELESS.
    FDISR is able to fix this, because FDISR starts BEFORE you boot into Windows and when you press the "F1-key" on the FDISR splash screen and boot in your refuge snapshot, you can fix the problem. I've done this many times when a legitimate software caused a BSOD and it wasn't even malware.

Keep also in mind that some software also corrupt FDISR, so you still need Image Backup software to restore your system partition, but that happens very rare.
    An example of this was Baseline Shield of Eaz-fix, I had to restore an image to get back in business. Even disabling Baseline Shield wasn't enough to boot in another snapshot.

I see it this way :
    Image Backup needs only three things :
    1. Recovery CD, which is always off-line
    2. External HDD, which is always off-line
    3. An Image, which is always off-line
    What can go wrong with this ? NOTHING. That's why Image Backup is the most reliable restore solution.

FDISR is constantly online and confronted with new softwares/malware and that makes FDISR more vulnerable than any Image Backup software, because FDISR gets all the punches.
    So I'm not surprised that FDISR fails sometimes, because it is logical that this will ever happen.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  11. beethoven

ErikAlbert,

while I initially did not intend to also get Imaging Software (never had a BSOD ), I think you got me convinced. Some companies should consider paying you a commission :D - you certainly are Leapfrog's or HorizonData's best representative :D .

So which Imaging software is your choice?

12. ErikAlbert

Personally, I use ShadowProtect Desktop of StorageCraft, which is IMO the fastest and very reliable Image Backup software. I've done numerous backups/restores, it never failed until now. Also Peter will say the same thing.
    It's also the most expensive one compared with others, about $80, but it's worth its price, just like FDISR. Keep in mind that SPD is mainly developped for companies and companies can't laugh when backup/restores fails all the time.
    Also a very good support at Wilders by an employee from StorageCraft.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  13. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

When configuring a system i like to leave system restore on. Its a lot less hassle to recover from bad installs than with fd-isr. Once i've got my system to how i want it i disable system restore and just use fd-isr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.