any opinions on vba32 antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jessicaa_86, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessicaa_86

jessicaa_86 Guest

is it good in detection and light on resources

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Yes, it is light on the system, fairly good signature database and a very nice heuristics engine. I have been working with it for about 3 months now, and I find techsupport to be great, but for some reason the virus submission side of the house is not the best on getting back to you.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

4. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I have found Vba32 to be the most stable and light in resource anti-virus even though I am using their Vba Personal (beta) version 3.10.5. Detection is good and one surprising note is that it also detects any left over viral strain (based on real experience - after cleaning by NAV). Their adware/spyware detections are also expanding. Signature updates occur throughout the day even on the weekends.

You can download their free beta version and test to see if it fits your criteria. http://www.anti-virus.by/en/downloads.html

Serge S., one of the team members of Vba32, is quite supportive in terms of replying to emails and answering questions at this forum. Recently, he has been experiencing real-life problem so he hasn't been able to respond right away.

I would like to also add more info about their download/beta version. When you download their personal version from the website (ftp://anti-virus.by/pub/vba32-personal-3.10.4-english.msi), be sure to click the UPDATE button after installation. This will allow the program to update to version 3.10.5 - which is a beta version (valid till 9-30-2005). 3.10.4 is the standard version and requires valid purchased key.

5. jonnypop

jonnypop Registered Member

Scans that I have done at jotti had the same exact malware name and result for VBA and Kaspersky. Does VBA use KAV engine or database?

6. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

You can say that again.

I've submitted several items very recently that I KNOW are new or pretty new outbreaks it misses, yet VBA folk never get back to me on submissions - and never seem to add definitions. I don't know what is going on, i've submitted one 3 times recently and it still hasn't been added.

I'm just waiting to see how the Microsoft one pans out and switching that that most likely.

7. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

No they use a similiar naming convention, but not the same database, KAV has 40k+ more signatures, VBA32 trains their heuristics engine to pick up similiar types, that it doesn't have signatures for.

@SDS, I feel you man. I as soley working with Serge for submitting samples and now that he is busy, I can't get a response from the virus submission folks. I love this program too, I mean I am not going to stop using it because it is a great av, and my license is good until december of next year. I just hope this is just a hiccup and nothing more.

8. in my opinion in vba32 antivirus is very good it catches many trojans which get missed by kaspersky and bit defender

9. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

VBA just added definitions today for a new threat I submitted on July 5th, 2005. I took a total of 3 submittals for them to recognize it, and it was a tested and verified new threat.

That is most disappointing. I love the product, but the threat response and response to submissions leaves a lot to be desired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.