Any opinions on Spyware Doctor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Longboard, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Any opinions on this product?
    I know Wilders supports updates.
    As a patriotic ozzie I might give them a go if they have a good rep.
    http://www.pctools.com/

I see Online Armour starting to get a few mentions too.
    Still beta testing.
    Any insights there yet?
    Seems to be another Oz app.

Regards.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Spyware Doctor is pretty decent.. I have it. It doesn't have the greatest database yet, but it's getting there, updates have been frequent. Calander of Updates has a good discount on it, should you decide to go that way. A couple nice features that it includes are the immunize function (like SpywareBlaster) and keylogger guard, among other things. See the software page in my sig for the link to Calander of Updates and the free version of Spyware Doctor (scanner only)

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

OK
    Thanks will give it a whirl.

Regards

4. achacko

achacko Registered Member

For me it says when I run the prog that there cud be a virus or bad sector on ur drive & the same applies to Spyware blaster also.

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

After surfing and surfing, and reviewing and reviewing.....I decided to give it a shot also. I purchased the full version in February, and have not been disappointed. CNET/Download.com, Softpedia, MajorGeeks, tucows, and ZDNET all gave it 5/5 stars (not the individual people who post...like I am now, their editor's and web-site's rating) and WUGNET recommended it highly (WUGNET Shareware pick of the week around that time) as well. Adwarereport and some other reviewers also gave it a very good review, and I liked how PC Tools presented the product, with their detailed explanations and screenshots, etc. It looked very user friendly with a very nice GUI.

The updates are very frequent, and they have live updates that you can set to receive them via a scheduler regularly.....and it includes a scheduler to set up scan times for both quick and full system scans. The scan times are pretty good, but like all malware cleaners, as their database builds up the scan times slow down, but this isn't a problem (it still scans around as fast as most others, faster than many). It offers real-time, on guard monitoring/protection, and I also like the immunization feature and cookie guard that removes cookies automatically. They have improved their keylogging detection capabilities, and have a process guard to prevent malicious programs from auto-starting. Overall, I think it a very good product that is continually improving. If you only use the scanner without the features of the full version, you won't be nearly as impressed. But as an overall anti-spyware program, I think it is very worthy of adding to one's arsenal.

I'm probably one of the few who frequent these forums who have this high an opinion of Spyware Doctor, but that's OK. I've used it for almost 6 months now, and my PC has been very clean ever since. Before, I'd have Ad-Aware and Spybot pick up between half a dozen to a dozen things every night when I ran a manual scan....now they both come up empty. I added PC Tool's Spyware Doctor and javacool's SpywareBlaster at about the same time, and I definitely don't regret it. PC Tools customer service has also worked VERY well with me the couple of times I contacted them, and they have been very generous regarding my account (that's basically all I think I should say right now). But I like it, and even if others don't that won't affect my opinion of it.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

My understanding is that most criticism has been of PCTools' marketing practices rather than the quality of their software.

7. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

This is my 2nd year using Spyware Doctor and it`s done it`s job so far.

8. metoo

metoo Guest

I also have SD (pay version) and it is updating very frequently as Notok said. At this rate they will be close to SpySweeper, as far as amount of sigs go, in no time.

Everytime I check there's another update and that's about once a day! And they offer a free version too! What a great bunch of guys to lets us have a free version for those of us who aren't so rich also. :)

So far I really like SD, very very few FPs, and seems to do a good job of finding the latest spyware and actually fully removes the spyware it finds, unlike some other scanners I won't mention by name. I would highly recommend it!

Thanks PCTools!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.