Any opinions on Avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by djg05, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I tried all the AV's, IMHO Avast is one of the best and the one I like the most. I have KAV as a backup and a2-squared trojan scanner, neither has ever found anything so Avast must be doing a good job.

Avast also has a great support forum, best you give it trail and decide for yourself :)

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I believe Avast is a great AV for those who want a free one. It isn't too heavy on resources and does a decent job of detecting. I recommend it, along with AVG to my clients who ask about freebies.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Have tried all, this one is too good, both paid as well as free version. Too many features to list and still remains resource friendly.

5. TAP

TAP Registered Member

avast! is a good AV with good protection and even its free version (avast! Home) is better than some paid AVs, IMHO. I've used and tried several AVs and besides Kaspersky avast! is the one that I really like the most, I like avast!'s Web Shield (HTTP scanner), fast incremental updates, boot-time scan and others but I really don't like its skins.

I've used avast! to protect my laptop and my home network without any infections or any problems. avast! runs good, it's lite and doesn't cause unacceptable slowdown.

So try it and see how avast! performs yourself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  6. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) As you see quiet a few individuals like AVAST. I however have an older machine an memory is limited. I found AVAST to be somewhat of a memory hog. This program has also been known to place operating files in the TEMP. directory, and those files cumbersome to delete if one wished to do so. Perhaps a good program for those with newer machine an unlimited memory capacity. I would not however recommend it for those with older machines an limited memory capabilities.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :D :eek:

7. jstegmann

jstegmann Registered Member

Let me just throw a vote in for avast! as well. Have tried numerous AV's, and I agree than even the free avast! Home is better than many commercial competetors.

True, avast! uses system ressources, but no more than, say, Trend or KAV.

Give it a go and rest easy ;)

Cheers,

JS.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Latest improvements to Avast have made it a very impressive product.

Protection for email, IM, P2P, Newsgroups and the recent HTTP scanner make it the standout free scanner.

Good on ITW detection but IME, needs help with Trojans. Also detection of zoo malware needs improving. However, it should be fine by itself, unless you visit high-risk sites.

Avast's memory usage has greatly improved in the latest version and you can choose which module to custom install.

Loaded Avast Home and the Ewido Guard on my daughter's laptop and so far so good. Set and forget, with automatic updating, which is what she needs.

And support by Avast and its forum are superb.

Although not much difference between the free and professional versions, I will probably buy the paid version for her.

Overall, as a free scanner it is superb. IMHO, not quite up to some of the big commercial scanners yet in overall malware detection but improving all the time.

9. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Maybe this recent fix will help ?

10. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Well, I have been an Avast Pro user for quite some time and use Bitdefender Free as a backup ondemand scanner.
    Trust me, Avast works like a dream offering great detection in real time with very decent memory requirements.
    I feel even the free version beats some of the paid versions of leading AVPs.

I think its worth a try.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me, avast makes a great free AV or a good backup for NOD32. avast doesnt play nice with the kav/avp engine so as backup its not very compatible. u should just try it and see wut u think.

12. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Exactly, I face the same problem with EScan. Guess its because escan uses Kaspersky engine.

But, still Avast is a good product. I now use Bitdefender Free and Antivir PE as a backup scanner.

Abhishek

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

vlk from Alwill/Avast may well address issues mentioned over here ;)

regards,

paul

14. vlk

vlk AV Expert

The on-access scanners (aka resident shields) of avast and most other AV's don't play nicely together (the same applies to most AV pairs actually - so it's not really an avast speciality).

But the on-demand scanners should work together without any problems. It should be possible to install avast without the on-access shields by unchecking the appropriate boxes during installation.

Thanks,
    Vlk

15. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thanks for joining in, vlk :)

regards,

paul

16. WSFuser

im aware of that, but avast doesnt complain about bitdefender or nod32, so im just observing that avast hates the avp in particular and actually disables/uninstalls some of it shields when it detects such an AV.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Alwil is aware of some AV incompatibilities so they prevent them before they can make troubles. If there was no warnings for BitDefender i assume they can work nicely together. Same was with NOD32. But this will change with NOD32 2.5 (PC totally locks up if you use NOD32 2.5 and avast! 4.6 together.

18. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Guest

Well, I use my pay scanner Norman only as a second hand scanner, trusting Avast's real time protection more ;)

19. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback - unusual in that it is 99% positive.

I am trying it at the moment and so far like what I see. It does give me the opportunity to save money by buying the Pro and the free on the other machine.

I have been running out of options.
    Did have EZTrust for some years but they messed up the renewal and then discovered it did not rate that well.

KAV - slowed everthing down

Dr Web seemed to become more invasive and started slowing.

F-Secure I did not like

BitDefender - good but just slowed everything to a crawl.

Same with Arcabit and other things.

NOD was ok but the pricing put it out.

Symantec I would not touch as with McAfee

20. WSFuser

@RejZoR - what kind of incompatibilities? im currently running the nod32 2.5 beta and avast 4.6. if the incompatibility is between resident scanners then im ok as i disabled avast's.

@djg05 - its good to see that u tried so many AVs, but then again NOD32 was too expensive 4 u. have u tried pc-cillin? neways im glad ur deciding on avast, which is pretty damn good considering price = free (for Home edition).

21. smiler

smiler Registered Member

I am sure AVAST is good,i have had it running,it detected a nasty that the other AV did not,but that does sometimes happen,one misses th eother finds, but i had to un-install it because it would not display properly without throwing up a disgusting GREEN DESKTOP and TOOLBAR and ICONS,the tolbar was unreadable!
    I had tried un-installing AVAST completely removing all traces and re-installed it,still no good,even sent a Desk top Screenshot to AVAST forum,still no good,so i gave up on it!,i use AVPE which is excellent but i prefer AVAST with e-mail scanner ect and more functions and much better GUI and SKINS-oh well!

Smiler

22. monsunami

monsunami Registered Member

Avast is pretty good for free AV. You can disable skins on its options and it will give you a basic gui. It is pretty loaded with different scanners, each for web, IM, email, P2P, etc and still uses little resources. :D

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

@WSFuser
    Yes,resident shields. WIth NOD32 2.1 and avast! 4.6 you could use both shields simultanously,but now it locks up soon after startup. Unless you disable one or another.

24. The Maxx

The Maxx Registered Member

avast! Home is a very good free AV. avast! Pro is a bit better but is a paid for version. It's worth giving a try.

25. Arup

Arup Guest

The more I say about Avast, the less it is. The basic home version offers so much for free, it is a miracle that they still manager to sell their pro version. Try out the home first, the pro is very good, adds script blocker as well as more configurations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.