Any one using DAEMON Tools Pro Advanced

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am not sure I understand what this program does but it sounds intriguing and is currently on sale for 50% off - not sure if I should look at it more closely so am asking for your input - http://www.softpedia.com/discounts/

DAEMON Tools Pro Advanced

What is DAEMON Tools?
    DAEMON Tools is an advanced application for Microsoft Windows which provides one of the best optical media emulation in the industry.

With DAEMON Tools you can back up your physical CD/DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray discs into “virtual discs” or so called “disc image” files, which run directly on your hard drive. You can also work with images created by other burning programs! DAEMON Tools supports variety of image types. Use CD/DVD image converter to have one format images in your Image Catalog!

A virtual disc has much better access rates than a physical one in a corresponding physical drive because the reading speed of a virtual CD/DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray-ROM is 50x faster compared to normal drive.

With DAEMON Tools you would receive up to 32 virtual SCSI drives and 2 virtual IDE drives that behave just like the “real” physical ones.

No more CD/DVD drive noise. No waiting for disc loading. No need to buy external optical drive for your netbook. DAEMON Tools enables you to use your CD/DVD images as if they were already burned to CD/DVD.

2. guest

guest Guest

I use the Lite version, which is free but comes with optional adware, however you can select to not install it during the installation process.

This software is very handy to emulate disk images, as it defeats most copy protection schemes such as SafeDisc and SecuROM. For this reason, don't be surprised by the fact that Daemon Tools currently uses rootkit technology to hide from other applications and the operating system itself.

3. bgoodman4

Please excuse me but I do not understand. What exactly is the purpose of this program. I know it says its faster but I would think any virtual machine would give you the same thing, if so whats this program offer that say Vbox does not. Apart from defeating copy protection schemes that is.

4. guest

guest Guest

Daemon Tools is not virtualization software. It's emulation software and has nothing to do with Vbox. An example of software that does the same as Daemons Tools is Alcohol 120%.

So let me explain an example of usage of Daemon Tools:

Let's say you got a game that has NO-CD protection, i.e., it doesn't run unless you got its original CD/DVD inside the optical drive.

Daemon Tools can then make a disk image of the original CD/DVD, i.e., a small file with a supported extension (or you can download many already made in internet) that can be emulated by Daemon Tools as a Virtual disk in its Virtual drive.

That way, you will be able to play the game without having the original CD/DVD inside the real optical drive, instantly breaking the NO-CD protection entirely without the help of any real crack.

5. bgoodman4

Interesting - I have a program that will not run unless I have a dongle plugged into a USB port. Would this program make it possible to run the program without the dongle? I am always nervous that something will happen to the dongle (which in effect is worth $7500) such as loss or breakage and if I could get around having to use the dongle on a daily basis it would be great.

6. guest

guest Guest

Daemon Tools is only for CDs and DVDs.

7. bgoodman4

Too bad,,,, thanks for the clarification though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.