Any one tried FD-ISR and Deepfreeze together?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by eniqmah, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My experience until now with this combination :

1. No off-line defragmentation with PerfectDisk possible. Smart defragmention was good.
    Returnil allows off-line and smart defragmention.

2. The boot system of FDISR doesn't work normal anymore when DF = ON.
    - sometimes normal,
    - sometimes it shows the boot options, waits ... then automatic boot
    Quite unpredictable, what you get during the next reboot.
    The same mess with Returnil.

3. No issues with backup/restore so far.

4. DF will double my reboots, any change requires two reboots :
    - one in thawed mode to make the change and
    - one in frozen mode to freeze the change. Pffft.

I don't like it and I'm afraid it will be the same with Returnil, but I try it anyway.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

In regards to #2, I'm kind of surprised since FD-ISR doesn't sit in the MBR anymore. Last I knew they had changed this.

In what order did you install the two? Did you report this issue to Faronics?

How long did you use them together?

Thanks Erik

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have returnil on 3 system and all play quite well with FDISR. No issues at all that I can see.

Pete

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Same here - Deep Freeze and Returnil works fine now with Perfect Disk off line unlike earlier versions of Returnil.
    Perhaps Erik has a virus :D :D :D :D :D

think I better hide for a while ?

5. Peter2150

ROFL. I think though he is talking about FDISR, not Perfect Disk.

6. ErikAlbert

Yeah, I can imagine how fine it is, I tried it myself.
    Returnil itself and DeepFreeze itself work fine on my computer also, that's not the problem.
    I have to turn them OFF, if I want to boot in another snapshot normally. I tried all combinations and 50% of them didn't work normally.
    If I close my eyes for that, than everything is normal.

I don't need them. FDISR offers more possibilities than Returnil and DeepFreeze.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Theres the high-spirited highly suspicious Erik
    we all know who trusts unequivocally in FD-ISR over "ANY" & "ALL" others. :D

As far as Erik's concerned, FD-ISR "IS" his DeepFreeze :)

My DeepFreeze is PARAGON DRIVE BACKUP PRO images :thumb:

8. ErikAlbert

I second that. The only thing I really trust are my clean images, created with ShadowProtect and I would say the same thing, if I was a Paragon-user.
    What SP restores for me is a clean basis, that I can use to recreate FDISR's snapshots, archives and freeze storage completely.

FDISR is still good, because it has never been attacked so far. FDISR is not an interesting target for the bad guys either, because the number of users is too small. The majority of users still prefers the classical setup and that is an interesting target.
    FDISR is constantly on-line, while images are stored off-line and that makes them much safer.

Working with ISR-softwares requires a total new way of working and that's a problem for many users.
    For instance : when you use an ISR-software, you don't have to stop the installation of malware, like real-time shields do, because the installation of any malware is removed by the ISR-software on reboot.
    What you must stop is the execution of malware, when you use an ISR-software.
    The installation and the removal of malware is not a problem, the execution is THE problem.

Scanners also remove malware, unfortunately not complete. Scanner-users like to BELIEVE this, but that doesn't mean it's also true.
    what about unknown malwares, missing signatures, ... only ISR-softwares can protect you against these, because they consider them as "changes".

Also keeping the "good changes" is different with ISR-softwares.
    In a normal environment, you can keep the good changes at any moment, you can't do that with ISR-softwares.
    If you want to keep the good changes, you have to reboot first, because that removes the possible bad stuff from your computer and then you can do the good changes.
    In principle, you have to turn OFF any automatic updating, because you can't keep them between reboots, you have to do this RIGHT AFTER reboot when your computer is still malware-free and then you can freeze the good changes.
    Most users don't want this discipline, they like to do things in a natural way.

9. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hmn, that's quite interesting, the bit about works sometimes I mean. I tried this once with Returnil and it booted back to the same snapshot, which for my logic seemed understandable since a command has been issued in session lock, therefore that command will cease to exist upon reboot, so I'd expect to be back in the same snapshot. I simply reboot out of session lock and then boot to snapshot, lengthens the process by a few minutes, but then everything has a price, and the times when I need to move between snapshots an extra few minutes is not an issue. So for me Returnil is a keeper, so far.

10. Peter2150

Readers should bear in mind that FDISR is not designed to defend against attacks. It is designed to all one to recover from stuff that screws up the system, usually the user.

11. ErikAlbert

Which software is designed to defend itself against attacks ? I don't know any software that is able to defend itself against attacks, not even security softwares.
    The bad guys compromise any software, if they want to.

12. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Well none of them have a gun, if that's what you mean, but there are plenty of security software that prevent their processes from being terminated. Were that not the case then no security software would be worth putting on your computer because by default all malware would simply eliminate the processes of all security software. Can they be defeated, for sure defend does not equal invincible.

13. ErikAlbert

As far as I remember, some AV's were disabled by malwares in the past and didn't protect anymore.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes but the Vendors learn from past experiences and almost all of them has covered up their lame selfprotection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.