Any known compatibility problems with the following applications ?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Defenestration, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Hi,

This question isn't specifically related to any particular DiamondCS product so I'm posting it here rather than posting it in all the forums.

I have mentioned before I'm interested in buying all the DiamondCS products (except for maybe CryptoSuite). Before I buy them though I wanted to confirm that there are no known conflicts between TDS (the real-time protection and the scanner), ProcessGuard 3, WormGuard, Port Explorer, and the following applications:

- Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5 (in particular the Real-Time protection and E-mail protection)
    - LooknStop Firewall (with Phant0m's latest rule set (as given on fluxfx.com))
    - Ad-Aware SE Plus (including Ad-Watch Real-Time protection)
    - SpyBot (including TeaTimer RT protection)
    - Proxomitron (with Grypen's latest rule set)
    - Firefox

I use Outlook Express and Thunderbird as my e-mail clients and don't really understand what protection WormGuard would give me if I have all the other products listed above ?

Going OT, does anyone know how to export Thunderbird mailboxes in a format which can be imported into Outlook Express ?)

From the name I know that WormGuard protects you against Worms (I assume you can only get these through e-mail ?), but am I really vulnerable to this threat when using the above mentioned products ?

An explanation of how Worms actually work and infect systems would be much appreciated.

Also, is there any other threat that could infiltrate my system which I would not be protect against, and what software can I use to block these threats ?

To fully satisfy my desire for all matters Computer Security related, can someone explain/give links for how to best use Port Explorer when trying to :

1) determine if an unsolicited connection is being made ?
    2) find out exactly what is being sent ?

Thanks in advanced for all your help!

Regards,
    D

2. Defenestration

I forgot to mention BOClean and TrojanHunter in my list. Any conflicts with these ?

PS. Yes I am paranoid*o)

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    No conflicts with any product.
    Further all are free for evaluating on your own system, so install and enjoy!
    Each product is very valuable and created to enhance security on your precious system and your valuable data.
    Most certainly don't forget CryptoSuite for that purpose too.
    And get the free tools too, among which are very handy ones.

Look at the descriptions, install them on your system and enjoy!
    And once registered you're eligle for a free upgrade once they're released.

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

The only slight "conflict" with Kapersky is that when you do a scan with TDS you need to disable Kapersky real time protection while scanning otherwise "IF" you find anything KAV will pop up & lock it so TDS cannot access the file

IT's not a major problem and sometimes KAV will pop up on a file that TDS has used a different unpacker on & then only recognizes it

At least then one of the applications will be able to fix it

BUt the same applies when you run any scanning program with KAV enabled including Adawre & spybot

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for the addition Derek!
    It is with any scanner best to close others during it's scan for the reasons you mentioned, not only with TDS.

6. Defenestration

Thanks for the info. So, everytime I do an on-demand scan with KAV, TDS, Ad-Watch, SpyBot, TrojanHunter or WormGuard I should disable the real-time protection of all of them ?

How about conflicts with the real-time modules of these apps ? Is it OK to have the real-time protection enabled in all these apps (BOClean included) ?

7. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

Buy TDS hold off on process guard buy worm guard but remember when you get it

to start up system restore

when worm guard prompts you about system restore being unsafe select i still want to run it and check perform this action always then your done

wait till the second of next month to buy process guard read the threads and see if there are things you dont like on peoples feed back on the 2nd

then decide if you want it

i dont work for dcs company so im not trying to sale pitch you anything just trying to help you out

8. Defenestration

Thanks for the info Mr. Blaze. I don't personally like using System Restore and have it disabled. I prefer to keep an image of my drive and restore it when I run into any problems.

Why do you recommend using it though ? Is WormGuard known for being unstable or causing system problems ?

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Defenestration,

TDS-3 has always been my first scan whenever I feel that I may have a trojan. This software along with KAV 4.5.104 and ZoneAlarm form my first line of malware defense. However, I do not run TDS-3 in real-time because it can be tempermental on my system. For realtime I rely on mostly Ewido though I do have BOClean up also because BOClean uses almost no resources and plays very nicely with all of my other background software.

I have Wormguard running in the background for over a year with no problems. I use Process Explorere whenever I notice excessive activity and want to track down the tasks that are executing and what sites they are accessing. For a person such as myself who "needs to know", it is an excellent tool and I use often.

As for Process Guard, I would agree with Blaze and wait until it is out of beta and you have a chance to trial it for yourself.

To sum up, Diamondcs products are some of my most worthwhile purchases and I can recommend them without hesitation - but Blaze has a point with Process Guard that I think is well worth considering.

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Defenestration,

Others have already answered, so only a few additions if I'm allowed:

You cannot do an on-demand scan with WormGuard.
    You can enable its protecting or disable it.
    On my system it is always enabled.

You cannot do an on-demand scan with Ad-Watch.
    Ad-Watch is the resident part of Ad-Aware.
    You can let Ad-Aware do an on-demand scan.

In general:
    Use only one AV, one AT, and one anti-adware at the same time resident.

As for TDS-3 and BOClean:
    Not any problem to have both resident on my old system (W98SE).
    When I let TDS-3 do a full system scan, I disable BOClean.
    The way I do that, is:
    if TDS-3 was not already started, then I first start TDS-3 up, then I disable BOClean, then I let TDS-3 do its full system scan.

Cheers, Jan.

11. Mr.Blaze

nope worm guard good just one problem if you try runing system restore might as well get rid of that prompt thing basicly get it over with

kinda like ban aid pull it off quick and get it over with

12. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I run TDS. KAV,Spybot,adaware(ad-watch) & prevx

resident protection is enabled in KAV & TDS at all times and no conflicts ever happen

when I want to run a full kav scan it's safe to leave tds resident active as KAV on demand has a higher priority than tds resident so no conflicts

It won't work in reverse, when doing a TDS scan disable KAV resident otherwise 2 things happen, kav also checks every file that TDS does and slows down the scan extremely( a normal tds full system scan on my computer takes about 1 hour, with KAV resident enabled it then takes over 4 hours)
    and if a suspect file is found Kav locks it

It's different with TDS which on a scan only warns about a file and let's you decide how to deal with it and doesn't lock or block any file

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

HJi there,
    most has been aswered, i only don't see any reason to recommend to wait with ProcessGuard (new release 1 november !) as that is an imperative part for protecting the system and processes. Especially now with the new threats it is urgent to have on any win200*/nt/xp system.
    See for all info in the ProcessGuard forum here.

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jooske,

In regards to Process Guard my reasoning is this, and correct me if I am wrong:

With Prevx running on my system everything is very stable right now. When I introduce Process Guard or SSM, I do get lockups, crashes, and overflows (probably SSM) so I think that for the time being my current setup is adequate - though nothing is complete - and I will just wait a while until PG has a more fuller fleshing out. A person new to system security may really get turned off by lots of crashes caused by new products such as PG 3.0, while users who are more familiar with the terrain may be more willing to accept the problems, and know how to deal with them during the first few weeks of PG's release.

Anyway this is my thinking. Any comments would be appreciated.

Rich

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi richf, ProcessGuard has the strongest possible protection from new threats such as rootkits and many current threats there is NO other program in it's class, for me it would be the LAST security program to be removed and the first to install.

You can test this for yourself using Advanced Process Termination:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=products
    but please wait until Monday for the full release ProcessGuard, just because it suits me does not make it imperitive for everyone else :D

Remember the ProcessGuard was developed to protect your processes which includes your other security applications and it does it rather well ;)

Enjoy your weekend. Pilli

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

Yes. I am looking forward to the new Process Guard. I will definitely be trying it out when it is released. There are two more things I want to do and I will feel comfortable. One is to get a good image copy procedure going for my system. It will be a great relief when I know that I can take a clean image copy and restore it when I need it. The other is to get Process Guard up and running cleanly. I think that I would like to keep both Process Guard and Prevx up .. but I'll have to wait to see if there are any conflicts.

Thanks for the tips.

Rich

17. Mr.Blaze

id just buy tds and worm guard for time bieng

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.