Any guides for Vista Firewall Advanced?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tonyseeking, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

I have decided to keep using Vista Firewall.

Anyone know of any guides I can read that teaches me how to use ADVANCED options in Vista Firewall to outgoing protection?

I tried using the free version of Vista Firewall Control by Sphinx , but I need to pay for the PLUS version to get proper protection for System/Core application protection etc.

So if there a way to do this using just the Vista Firewall Advanced options?

Thank you.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

3. tonyseeking

Yes I know about google ;) But I was hoping a regular on someone from Wilders had written one that I could read. I rather trust a member from Wilders than someone from google links :argh:

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

If you are behind a router you are probably OK with the Vista Firewall as-is.

Still, it would be an interesting read, to peruse a technical document on configuring the Windows Vista Firewall, written by someone with the knowledge, writing skill, and impartiality.

5. tonyseeking

1. No router. I use a Wireless USB key for broadband.

2. I followed these instructions:

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid192_gci1247138,00.html

What do I do after I added Windows Firewall option? All I can do is block ALL outgoing, but then nothing connects to the internet. What do I do?

Does there exist a easy to read and easy to understand document that helps setup Vista firewall Advanced?

I was hoping a Wilders member has already written one. Has anyone?

6. AKAJohnDoe

Man, that article is two year+ old. Not that anything significant is has changed in that time, but one would have hoped that more experience and knowledge would have been forthcoming in the intervening time. Quite honestly, that is why I went with ZAAV, because Windows Vista Firewall was a neglected orphan by all appearances.

7. tonyseeking

I only found another one:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=551723

But doesn't explain what to do exactly. How do I add all my programs to be given outgoing permission? Do I have to enter every program individually? That will take months :p

Anyone want to write how to use Vista Advanced Firewall Options please? :argh:

So far I have worked out to type: wf.msc but what do I do then? :p

UPDATE: according to this article, even if we turn on outgoing filtering, its useless:

http://www.computerworld.com/action...&articleId=9010661&taxonomyId=16&pageNumber=2

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not to discourage you at all, but any rule based/oriented firewall is going to take a bit more work and research on your part than the other firewalls. You may want to reconsider. A lot of it is study and then just trial and error on your part as you develop the rules, check logging, and see what's going on. When I learned to use Kerio 2, it took quite a bit of time and experimentation to get it down. But once you do, you're rewarded with tighter control, and usually a lighter firewall overall. Good luck. :)

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. tonyseeking

Some guy wrote on tha link: "I just set Vista's firewall to globally block all inbound and outbound connections that do not match a rule. For programs that I wish net access, I create the appropriate in/out rule. The added benefit being that absolutely nothing has network access without my first creating a rule to allow"

This sounds perfect for what I want to do.. but does anyone know how exactly he did that?

Do I have to add every program that connects to the internet individually? Even Vista update etc?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I know, but is better than nothing! ;)

12. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I think Stem will be working on a learning thread in the near future.

What other security software are you running that you are so concerned about the firewall and outbound connections?

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The article is putting forward the default policy of "allow all outbound not blocked", that is why the comment of having to block malware on a per rule basis. With a "block all not allowed" will only allow direct comms for the applications in the rules, or for an open rule, will restrict to rule Ips/port etc.

- Stem

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am currently building a thread off open forum.

- Stem

15. tonyseeking

Stem, any chance of writing an article for dummies, how to enable and use the Advanced features of Vista Firewall?

I can block all outgoing connections.. but not sure how I now add firefox, thunderbird, ccleaner, BF2412, Gmail Notifier etc etc.

Any help? :)

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Programs do need to be added manually, there is no popup when a program is blocked Internet access (as you have probably found). It is probably why the outbound filtering is disabled by default, as MS would of been flooded with support issues.

Once I have the help thread finished, I will post it. It should be later today.

- Stem

17. tonyseeking

Awesome, thanks Stem.

18. AKAJohnDoe

That little addition might have made Windows Vista Firewall a viable alternative. An intelligent interface into defining and maintaining the rules definitely would have. Without both in place the Windows Vista Firewall will continue to be an also-ran in the marketplace.

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If MS had made the firewall too user friendly, then the 3rd party firewall Vendors would probably of been up in arms.

It is just really a case of enabling the logging of blocked packets for the current profile, then if connection problems, just check the log.

I suppose a user could install the Free vista firewall control, that will give a popup for the blocking of 3rd party applications.

- Stem

20. tonyseeking

That's it? That was the manual on how to use Advanced features in Vista Firewall? :blink:

21. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I am not sure what you are looking for. Stem said at the start of his guide thread:

"This thread is far from complete, but wanted to post what I have done as it will at least show the basics of adding rules.

I do have more info to add, but if there are questions, then just post to forum."

So, this is was a start and there is more to come. It sounds like you would need/prefer a firewall that is already largely configured. That gets you back to the Comodo / OA dilemma!!!

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi,

I think tonyseeking is having a moan about having to look at logs for blocked packet, even though I put forward that the "free vista firewall control" could possibly be used to give popups for blocked packet.

You cannot please all the members all the time, and some you can never please.

- Stem

23. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

How True!!!

I any case, thanks for putting the guide together. I may give the Vista FW another try.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is certainly very true. And with firewalls, other people can't do it for you, it's usually something you have to do yourself.

Thanks for your efforts Stem, they are appreciate by many.

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I do believe that the Vista firewall is worth a little effort to learn, and I will certainly take time to help those who are genuinely attempting.

I have opened the thread I am currently creating for this firewall as I need some feedback as to if the info is fully understandable and what info needs to be added

- Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.