Any good image capture viewer and editor??

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by aigle, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I am feeling that there is a big deficiency of even simple software on linux. I am trying this on Ubuntu.

1- I failed to find an image capture software that can take image and auto-save the screen shot in a specific location in a specified format( jpeg for example). There are dozens of software like this in windows.

2- I want my image viewer to launch in full screen mode by default. Failed to do so. any help?

3- Any simple photo editor like FastStone Image Viewer. I mainly want cropping, and adding text, arrows etc to iamges. No heavy duty stuff. I tried GIMP but it has so many options that I don,t want to use it at all.

A combined image viewer and editor like FastStone Image Viewer is the one that i will love to have.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: Any good image capture viewer aand editor??

Thanks a lot.

It,s really nice. I like it.

Only problem is that I am not able to add text to pictures. May be the feature is broken?

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Hmm, Ubuntu comes out of the box with a half dozen ways to take screenshots. It is as easy as hitting the "printscrn" button on your keyboard. Surely one of these methods will suit you?

As for image editing: I think the best tools for this kind of thing are KDE based (I like Gwenview for viewing and digiKam for downloading and cropping images right from my camera). Ubuntu/Gnome has f-spot for this, so you might give it a try. If it is like digiKam, it should allow you to do basic image editing (cropping, resizing, color balance, etc..). I love my digiKam, it is great.

As for the fullscreen issue, I searched Ubuntu forums and it seems another guy was asking this very question (last year). People recommended he try "gthumb." It should be in the repos.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.