Any Good Dial-up Services?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hello Computer Savy Reader -

I have decided that I don't want to pay the big bucks for broadband internet anymore, therefore I am confronted with the task of finding a new provider. My biggest worry is that i may get busy signals and low speed connections and disconnects. Is there any service that does comparisons or will I have to just take my chances.

What got me started was seeing Netscape offer a dial-up connection for $9.95. I am currently paying $42 for a blazing fast connection from comcast. (fast once you erradicate Broadband Client Service Agent, Comcast Support - support.com that is). I am thinking if I took the extra $30 dollars a month and spend it on my computer I would be happier :D

Anyway, any comments, suggestions, hints, advice, warnings, threats?

- HandsOff

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you thought about SBC yahoo DSL. I know three people that have it and are very pleased. They all pay $29.00 Mo.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Depends where you are, of course -- my independent ISP is top-notch and could give lessons in customer support and tech ability to the vast majority of other providers. But their territory is regional, most of southern Ontario and even into Quebec these days.

Helpdesk is 24/7 and always helpful, with rarely any significant wait unless there's a major system problem and everyone's phoning in at once. If a server's acting up, typically no more than 30-45 minutes to get a backup "warmed up" and online, even in the wee hours. And it happens that they're HQ'd right here in town, if for whatever reason it's easier to deal with a problem over the counter.

$17 (Cdn) a month for unlimited dialup, and only about $10 more for DSL -- and unlike many other ISP's who offer broadband, you're welcome to use any modem that meets specs, rather than having to rent one from them.

4. Biggerfoot

Biggerfoot Guest

Access4less offers unlimited internet access for $5.95 a month. Good connect speed 46-48k(for basic dialup). Very very few or no disconnects. Tested & Recommended by Kim Komando. Pay is month to month(no contracts of any kind). Totally unlimited access. One of the best deals in dialup on the net. Can go thru this link for only $4.95 a month.(+ a one time setup fee of $8.) http://access4less.net/indexgo.htm if you want low cost can't beat it. Also www.freedomlist.com has some isp comparisons as well as the above info. Good luck.

5. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

You would do well to check on a local forum in the Bay Area or speak with others in the area who have dial-up internet service. It wouldn't matter if one ISP was wonderful in one area or even in most areas. It would depend on the access number you are using and how much effort is placed on that particular access number. I may be wrong in my thinking here, but it sure seems like this is the case with all major ISPs. I'm using Earthlink.net and have no problems. I was using AOL and had no problems. I've heard that some local access numbers are over loaded though and that would be of the most concern for you. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Pretender I believe that is very good advice that you give in your post I believe that is what I would do if I was looking at changing ISP's

7. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Another good place to check is Freedomlist. That's where I found my current primary ISP. http://www.freedomlist.com/

added link==bigc

8. biggerfoot

biggerfoot Guest

Is there an echo in here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.