Any free CD audio burners that allow appending?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've got Sonic RecordNow and Toshiba Disc Creator but the versions I have don't allow appending. Once you finish a project you can't add any new tracks. You have to erase the whole disc and start from scratch. I was wondering if anyone might know of a good free product that allows appending? What I need it for is burning CDs from other audio CDs with .cda audio files.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I have not personally used this software but people have said it is very good.

http://www.starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn/features

It used to be free. Their site says the cost is $4.95 but you can get the free version here.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/SDK-DDK/StarBurn-SDK.shtml

You may want to try the portable version first.

http://www.starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn/download

3. allizomeniz

I really appreciate the links. That looks like it could be promising. I'm gonna try to get it downloaded tomorrow and I'll report back after trying it out. :)

4. allizomeniz

StarBurn looks like a good program for some things but the free version won't do what I need it to, at least I can't see how to. If I wanted to burn a copy of a Wilco CD to use in a CD player I don't think it can. There's supposed to be an expert mode but the free version doesn't have it. I think a person might be able to do it with that.

I at least figured out an easier way to do a new burn with the programs I've already got, so reburning won't be as much of chore if I need to. It's a rather long story so I won't tell it unless someone's interested. :)

5. Niels

Niels Registered Member

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Are we talking about multi-session audio? I don´t think this is possible.

I have used Nero for years. It has excellent multi-session support, but only for data burns. It is possible to burn a multi-session disc with mp3, etc., but this is a data disc, very possibly not compatible with CD players.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. allizomeniz

That's what I'm talking about Robin, burning copies of CDs like a Wilco CD or or any commercial CD for use in a CD player. They have .cda files.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You can use an audio ripper to copy tracks from one or several CDs to the hard disk. Most burners have this function.

Then, you can build a compilation selecting the tracks you want and burn them to create a new audio CD with CDA files. This disc will be playable in CD players.

The burning must be done in one session. No multi-session is possible here, AFAIK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.