Any free applications to monitor system directories?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by L815, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

I like to play around with new software and games. One thing I dislike is a messy system. Having this habit I'm worried that many applications leave junk everywhere.

I'm mainly looking for an application that will monitor system directories for added/deleted files, or something that can monitor an installation so after it will remove everything it has created.

I'd like to avoid things like Revo which only scans for files that may have been left over. Rather, as I'm installing I want it to record what's being written; safely.

I'd like this application to be free, and if not, relatively cheap :)

Any suggestions?

2. 2good

2good Guest

3. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

Have you tried Returnil?

Not sure if it's what your looking for but I use it a lot for that purpose.

I install most programs with returnil ON, play with it, check it out, whatever & then it's GONE after reboot. If I really like it, I re-stall it with Returnil OFF & then it's in for good

(will NOT work on programs that need a re-boot after install)

Hope this helps!

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Give Regshot Unicode a try: http://www.woodmann.com/collaborative/tools/index.php/Regshot_Unicode
    You can add system folders to monitor (and subfolders to exclude) from the program's options interface. Be careful if you edit the ini-file directly because the program can be picky about missing backslashes, letter case etc. It's very fast if you disable registry monitoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.