Any Firewall without like...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iwod, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Low on Resources and With out Much user interaction.
    It doesn't have to be free :D

I am behind router so most of the time this is already much sfater than connecting directly to internet. Although i would still like a little firewall to play around with.

As many of you have stated , most firewall does its job very well depending on if you have config it properly. But i am looking for a firewall which need little config.

Kerio 2.x - Many of you said it was good and i already have a run with it. Low on resources. But no longer being updated and that is the only thing i don't like about it.

Kerio 4 - Regarded as Forever beta software by some of us in here. And resources usage is not low either.

LnS. - Has support forum here but the config was too difficult for me. Having to deal with many setting. I have try a enhanced rule set and phantom rule set which makes me can't use my network. Interesting thing is that somebody told me to get back to basic rule set and it would already give me much better protection without any config. And Basic rule set was the only thing i didn't try using in LnS. LOL. ;)

Sygate. - Not much needed to be config and works. But its resources usage is immense............ So i stay away from it.

ZoneAlarm - I used it when til it was version................ 1 or 2? Can't remember. after that it started to get problem, bloated and just a bit like Norton...... Resource usage is high as well.

Outlook Pro 2.1 - The one i am currently using. Doesn't need much config apart from a few click now and then. While some people can get it to work on as low as 2 - 4 Mb mine stays on +14Mb....... I hope Version 2.5 will makes help. Otherwise i like this Software Firewall.

Are there any other firewall i should try?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Just because something isn't being updated, doesn't mean its outdated. I still like AtGaurd, but this programs only real fault is that was was not desinged with full NT support before the developers licensed the software to Symantec to make Norton Personal Firewall. AtGaurd makes programs like Outpost/Norton/etc.. look bloated for the amount of resources they use, and AtGuard has many features. The install is just a little larger than a floppy disk, you won't find that with programs that have all the features AtGaurd had these days.

Kerio 2x is the only program I will currently use, I don't like all the rest, and in reality it still works as it should on 99.5% of systems out there currently. I see no reason to jump to another program unless for some reason there is a better alternative to Kerio 2x, or due to some incompatibility with a future os I must use a different program. This is what happened to AtGaurd, if AtGuard didn't have compatibility problems with NT systems I would still be using it to this day.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AtGuard predated Zone Alarm I believe.

Sure hated it when it was bought out and ruined in the process.

Kerio 2.15 works for me.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I like Outpost Pro 2.1, it has good default security, a nice interface, a great log, and not too heavy. The plugins are very useful too.
    As far as less user interaction, it depends on who will be using it. If it is a beginner, then I would say ZoneAlarm's popups will be a little easier to understand.
    Most firewall's are designed to be installed to the widest audience with minimal problems (to reduce support costs). In order to do that, they have to loosen the default settings to work for the majority.
    For that reason, it is definately worth it to properly configure any firewall. Yes it is a pain, but once done, you don't have to think about it anymore and it can greatly boost your security level.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You could try BitGuard.

It's light on resources and easy to use.
    There are also "advanced settings" for protocol,ports,banned IP,and trusted IP.
    There is a 14 day trial.

http://www.tryus.dk/bitguard.asp

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

While AtGuard was the first firewall I used, I could not recommend it nowadays. It will fail any leaktest (even Gibson's original) due to it's lack of file fingerprinting so can provide no real protection against many trojans (and some spyware) if they ever get installed on a system.

I'd agree that it was a ground-breaking program when it came out and I wish WRQ had stuck with it, but the Internet world (and its dangers) has moved on a lot since. :(

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

While you could try lowering Outpost's memory usage further by disabling logging, current memory utilisation should only be an issue if stops other programs from running effectively.

It is actually better for programs (and Windows itself) to take as much memory as they can use (and require) since it will reduce disk usage (which is far slower). Even if a program stays in memory when you have finished using it, this is a good thing (as long as that memory is freed up if needed elsewhere) since it means that it will restart more quickly if run again. Unused memory is ultimately wasted memory.

As for Outpost 2.5, this is going to be adding several very useful features so I doubt it's memory footprint is going to shrink.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I agree on the memory issue. Window uses what it needs where it needs it.
    The NT based systems such as XP use this method.

I let XP manage memory and have never seen disk thrashing or low memory errors.

10. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Yes, AtGuard was out for a long time before ZA was even in beta. I remember having the last version of AtGaurd for quite a while when hearing about ZA being in development. Steve Gibson was even pushing it before it came out, and this is when Steve was starting the stealth movement which caused software firewalls to become crap for the most part. Stealth is just perpetual FUD...

When I was running 98se, I was using Atguard for all its other features while Tiny 2x has replaced the firewall in AtGuard almost perfectly, just no ignore feature in the firewall rules :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.