Any expert want to test a program?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

I installed this program,and it connected to an install on demand. Not sure what that means. I ran in a sandbox and did not complete the installation but yet it installed. I read about it on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCH_Software#Criticism and also some where else. In the somewhere else article it says it install a lot of hooks.

If someone who knows more than me would like to test it and report i would be interested to read what it is doing

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

On the software uninstall page it lists, amongst other things, how to uninstall it on different operating systems, how to uninstall the bundled toolbars and how to revert your home page back.

That info may be enough to put people off testing it

http://www.nch.com.au/general/uninstall.html

3. david banner

If someone knows what they are doing and has a test pc i don't see why they would be put off. I would if i met both those requirements

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi David, I think I saw someone posting something similar to your post at the Sandboxie forum a few days ago. That was you, right? David, if you ran the program under Sandboxie, all you really have to do to keep your system intact is delete the sandbox.Toolbars, etc, none of that stuff is gonna get out of the sandbox.:)

Bo

5. david banner

Hi Bo

"if you ran the program under Sandboxie, all you really have to do to keep your system intact is delete the sandbox.Toolbars, etc, none of that stuff is gonna get out of the sandbox"

I know but am curious as to why it installs if you abandon the installation. It seems a very strange program to me

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you see some files in C>Sandbox or in Sandboxie control>View>Files and Folders, even though you stopped the installation before it had finished, that just shows that some programs leave files around even when the installation of the program don't fully go thru.

I think whats important is that after you deleted or will delete the sandbox where you ran the installer, all of those files are gone and you don't see any toolbars or anything from that program in your system.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.