Any difference between Tiny and Kerio 2.15

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SourMilk, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Is there any difference between Tiny Personal Firewall v2.15A and Kerio Personal Firewall v2.15? (besides the name :cautious: )
    SourMilk out

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The version of Tiny you're referring to is 2.0.15A.
    There are a few differences.
    • The installer for Tiny doesn't contain a help file, which is responsible for the size difference.
    • The tray icons are different.
    • With Kerio, all traffic can be blocked via the right click menu on the tray icon. Tiny doesn't have a "block all" option on the tray.
    • Kerio's tray icon uses animated arrows to show traffic. Tiny doesn't have that feature.
    • Kerio's logging has a "log suspicious packets" option that Tiny doesn't.
    • The top option on the slider is different for each. On Kerio, the top level is "deny unknown". On Tiny, it's "cut me off" which disables all network activity. The equivalent of the "deny unknown" option on Tiny is a checkbox on the advanced screen which reads "Ask for action when no rule is found."
    • Kerio asks "are you sure" when you shut it down. Tiny doesn't.
    • On Kerio, double clicking the tray icon opens the status window. On Tiny, it opens administration.
    • The default ruleset for Tiny contains a rule permitting all loopback traffic at the top of the ruleset. Kerio's default rules do not include a loopback rule.
    • Tiny is not consistent about stealthing ports. On a previous PC, it stealthed all ports except for 0 (nul port) and 1. On this PC, no ports are stealthed. Kerio stealths all the ports on every PC I've used it on.
    • Kerio can import and export copies of the ruleset. Kerio can also import rulesets created by Tiny. Tiny can't import or export copies of the ruleset.
    There's probably more, but these are the ones I can see right now. The two are very similar but Kerio is a significant improvement in options and performance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Thank you for your very thorough and informed answer. I wanted to install one or the other and did not know if there were any major differences. Now, thanks to you, I know which one to use.
    SourMilk out

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, Kerio 2.1.5 would be best, it is actually the continuation of what was Tiny earlier in development.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.