Any dangers of using BitLocker?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by ssbtech, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ssbtech

ssbtech Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm setting up a new PC for a home based accountant. In order to safeguard against data theft in the event the system is stolen, I decided to set up BitLocker on the SSD. It's using a mainboard with TPM.

Is BitLocker generally safe and reliable to use? I don't want a case where the data is rendered inaccessible due to a problem with the protection scheme. Other than backing up the unlock code, are there any other recommendations for reliable operation?

Thanks.

2. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

Depending on which OS you're using, Windows 10 (after 10 Nov) got the latest security update which should fix all security issue.

There are several known security problems but it affects all encryption tools, even externals but the good news is that this mostly requires physical access and several other steps.

So it's matter of trust but I overall wouldn't say it's more or less secure compared to VeraCrypt. But I personally recommend VeraCrypt if you use different systems like Linux because the container are then compatible and usable (but currently it not works with UEFI).

So nothing wrong with BitLocker. :cautious:

3. ssbtech

ssbtech Registered Member

Thanks for that!

I'm not terribly worried about the security of it - it's more than enough to stop the thief who steals the computer from pawning it off and exposing the data.

I'm more worried about the reliability of its operation, and whether the encryption method is more susceptible to corruption or outright failure to unlock the drive.

I don't want him turning on the computer on tax filing day only to discover the encrypted partition has vanished.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.