antivirus

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by pykko, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

The antivirus engine I heared it's a new one but was something new added to increase detectin rates? Additional definitions not included in the regular updates of v. 2.7 ? New heuristic engine? New packers support?

Thank you1

2. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Eager to know. And how about getting rid of the nasty hangers that reoccur upon system reboot? Would appreciate if anyone sheds light on this.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Both v2 and v3 use the same archive and advanced heuristics modules.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thank you Marcos... so basically no major improvement to it.

5. Marcos

We'll keep on improving Advanced heuristics so it will keep getting better for both v2 and v3 versions.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

It's a nice thing to improve heuristics even more, but isn't it a good ideea to add more definitions also? ...just a thought. :)

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Note that the Suit has two-way firewall and all modules are controlled by one place work.The firewall can decide and find suspicious programs and block trojans (for example) go out which makes them useless (read more about this in ESS's help section) . All these add-ons will increase overall detection rate.

8. Marcos

I didn't say we'd stop adding definitions and work on improving AH only :)

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Does v3 engine have any feature that v2 engine don't have?

10. rothko

rothko Registered Member

to quote from the Help file, if i may:

ESET NOD32 Antivirus + Antispyware:

This component is in fact an improved version of the award-winning scanning engine of NOD32 Antivirus v2.7. With respect to program's unprecedented scanning speed, the following improvements have been made:

• Improved system of cleaning and deleting infiltrations. The antivirus system now intelligently cleans and deletes infiltrations with no need for user interaction.
    • Computer scan can be run in background in order to use only a part of system resources. Thus scanning will not affect the performance of your computer and you will be able to work on it as usual.
    • The resident protection supports archive scanning.
    • Update optimization, smaller update package size than in version 2.7, more effective management and protection of update files against damage.
    • Email protection for users of Outlook Express.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, it seems that ESET is confident in their current engine. Those "new features" are mostly cosmetic/functionality changes (background scanning, scanning of archives in real-time, better updating).
    However, the new "cleaning" module seems interesting. Probably, it'll support raw disk scanning and registry scanning/cleaning.
    Apparently, ESET has high hopes for their firewall: Kerio-like rule making, primitive (?) IDS, good leaktest interception (?) and web scanning.
    The antispam will be very good. I'm guessing this based on the performance of AVG Antimalware's spam module which is licensed from the same vendor.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i like the sound of better cleaning and removal since they is one of nod32' s weakness.
    lodore

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

In this new version some nice features was added, so now the protection, detection and removal are even better... :)

Why Web access protection only works when Firewall is enabled?
    The standalone AV version will not have the Web access protection feature?

The AV still not support IMAP! :(

When run a Computer scan, how can I see the results, with or without cleaning?

SUGGESTION:
    Why not the ThreatSense engine parameter setup aren't always showing, when we select some profile, instead of have to click on button?

BUG:
    When add a new on-demand profile, after I can't remove it.

14. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i still like option action to do on on-demand scanner in version 2.X. in ess sometimes on-demand scanner asking for action(delete or skip). i just like silent on-demand scanner like version 2.x

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Me too... ;)

16. cupez80

maybe ESET should enable Advanced Heuristic on-execute :D because in 2.x AH doesnt enabled in on-execute(because emulation can slowdown the execution but could it be optimized ?!)

17. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I tested ESSSS with eicar test strings. All detected except the one with the .txt extension - what should have happened - if anything?

18. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Tags are not appended in received or sent mail when using Outlook.

19. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I have already found this option in settings... Have a deeper look:)

20. cupez80

where ? i cant find it

21. Alith

Alith Registered Member

I understand from these posts that there is a version 3 engine out. I currently have version 2.7 with license. Where does one check for new versions, link please. :) I assume that the 2.7 version needs to be uninstalled first. Is the version 3 final release or Beta?

22. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Same here.I tested ess with eicar files.When I tested the .txt one the page loaded the text showed and after few secs a msg popped up saying it was cleaned (quarantined). Wasn't the page supposed to be blocked to begin with ? I also tested the very same file when I was trialing Kis and it was blocked right away:blink:

23. MNKid

MNKid Registered Member

Beta. http://www.eset.com/beta/

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The "cleaning" feature will become significant in future versions. I was told in brief about this back in 2005, and it looks very good on paper. :)

25. gRoet

gRoet Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.