antivirus + Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by echtp, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echtp

echtp Registered Member

Which antivirus can be used with Vista (latest Beta)?
    I tried Norton, Nod32, PCCillin with no succes.

2. TAP

TAP Registered Member

avast! Antivirus

avast! Antivirus and Windows Vista

The new Windows Vista operating system brings increased productivity and dependability as well as many security enhancements. Nonetheless, the risk of malware infection on this platform is still relatively high. Effective protection is a must.

We are glad to announce that the latest versions of all avast! antivirus editions, including the free Home Edition, now support the new Windows Vista platform (both 32-bit and 64-bit builds).

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-antivirus-and-windows-vista.html

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! 4.7 Home Edition and Vista Beta 2 worked like a charm.
    Tried it myself. Well there are still some limitations but in general it works :)

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    CA eTrust (and it's free)

5. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

:thumb:

Yep, I installed Vista Beta 2 yesterday on a second partition on my laptop just to play with it and that is what I installed. As YOSC said, it's free for a year and Vista is still long from being released.

:cool:

6. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Windows Vista Beta 2 Antivirus Partners

1) eTrust EZ Antivirus - free 12 month trial

2) PC-cillin Internet Security 14.55 - Windows Vista™ Beta Program, Beta Duration: May 23rd to October 31st, 2006

Refer to this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/wsc/en-us/windowsvistabeta2.mspx

7. YeOldeStonecat

Heck of a lot lighter than Avast too...and you want "lightweight" for Vista. ;)

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

On my machine (32-bit) the latest avast! 4.7 is lighter (faster in real-time performance) than CA eTrust EZ and eTrust Antivirus.

Note: keep in mind that avast! has at least 3 or 4 providers (file scanner, HTTP scanner, network scanner, mail scanner) work in real time at the same time while eTrust has 2.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135168

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  9. YeOldeStonecat

Every now and then I'll do some freebie work for some people...and with them...generally use a freebie AV. I used to use AVG in these cases..but a while ago after being disappointed by it several times (pretty much when it switched to version 7), I switched to Avast for these freebie jobs. In almost all cases..I received compliants about how slow peoples PCs got. By a few dozen people...with various different levels of PC horsepower..from old 'n slow with minimal RAM, to new and fairly fast P4s with abundant RAM. In a few of them if I had a chance I switched them to eTrust..and many said they were glad to get some peppiness back into their PCs.

That's what I have to base it on...not my opinion (I'm a NOD32 user..so naturally no compliants about slowness here)...not just the opinion of one of two..but of many many users, from many different PC configurations. //shrug That's a derailed subject anyways.....from Vista.

10. echtp

echtp Registered Member

Re: Windows Vista Beta 2 Antivirus Partners

I installed the Pc-Cillin Beta and it works very well, although it takes a lot of memory.
    The Vista seems to be stable.

11. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

13. GreenFoot

GreenFoot Registered Member

I'm not surprised at all....this AV is pretty much useless, it takes like 2 hours to do what AVG do in 30 minutes. EZ AV is not user friendly, for instance; i told him to skip my C drive(Vista is on F, dual boot with XP) and it went over every single file on my C drive, but all the files were marked "excluded"....imagine the waste of time. I'm looking for another one, or i'll scan F from winxp.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I also give the nod to Avast. An even better protection of Vista will someday be React -- now in alpha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.