Antivirus that makes no registry changes?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SourMilk, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I am looking for an antivirus that will not change the registry other than the initial installation entries. In other words, updates to signatures will not add or change the registry. I am not interested in portables like ClamWin portable but want a full-time guard. I think Antivir might fit this criteria but I don't know for sure. I know that Norton AV 2009 does not.

The reason for this question/request is I am setting up a computer with FDISR and want to move certain folders to another hard drive such as "My Documents" and an antivirus without using the data anchoring feature.

Any replies will be appreciated.
    "SourMilk yells down an empty well and only hears his voice reflected back" (lol)

SourMilk out

2. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

SourMilk,

I tried Avira for similar purposes only I wanted to use it with Returnil with protection status on.

You can set the definitions file to reside in another drive but every update changes at least one registry value - Last Update (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium\LastUpdate). Some updates also change the programme files and other registry keys I'm sure.

I had integrity issues when the definitions and the Last Update date did not match after a reboot when Returnil reset the registry value to the last pre protection position it obviously did not match the definitions date/tome stored on a drive not protected by Returnil. Might have changed now though, that was around a year ago I tried.

I did not find an AV to work with Returnil so you might have the same issues with your FDISR plans.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't think one exists.

4. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I guess I will install Antivir on the current snapshot and if I need to rescue with another snapshot, I will install Antivir again.

Thanks for your replies and answers.

"What do you call a cross between an elephant and a rhinoceros? Answer: Elephino?" :D

SourMilk out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.