Antivirus programs that don't slow 1gb internet connections

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by clocks, May 4, 2017.

1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

About a year ago, I was lucky enough to get Docsis 3.1 1gb internet. Since doing so, I have found several AV programs severely limit my internet speeds. Usually the programs that impact my speeds, shave about 200-300meg off. So instread of getting 940meg, I'll get about 650-700meg. Does anyone else with a fast connection notice the same? Below are some of the programs I have tested:

Avast w/ webshield - slows connection
    AVG - slows connection
    Norton - slows connection, but not as much as the others
    HMPA - slows connection
    Panda Free - slows connection

Avast w/out webshield - works fine
    Webroot - works fine
    Comodo Cloud AV - works fine
    ZAM - works fine

I'll update as I test others in the future. As faster connections roll out to more people, I think some of these AV vendors are going to have to rethink how they do their web scanning, so that it does not have so much of an impact on speeds.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

can you test NOD32 please?

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I find Panda very light.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Please test Emsisoft and NOD32 with and without protocol filtering.

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Edited first post for Panda Cloud Free.

6. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Can you test Bitdefender Free please?

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

BD Free always gives me issues for some reason. I tried as recently as a few days ago, and it does not let me log in via the program, and does not seem to protect. I've had these same issues every time I have tried it over the past 1-2 years. I know my login works, but wonder if they have restricted my account or something. I also don't like the fact that it seems to eat >1gb of hard drive space for some reason.

Anyway, I started this thread hoiping to crowdsource info, and see what others experiences have been. Not necessarily wanting to test 30 programs on my own. I don't plan to test many more programs personally at this time. At this point I am either reinstalling Webroot, Avast w/out the web scanner, or maybe trying Windows Defender again. I don't plan on testing NOD32 or Emsisoft, as I would not personally buy either of those to use long term. The only paid programs I generally play around with are Norton & webroot, and that is because I can get them free via banks, ISP, etc..

8. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

http://i.imgur.com/8Yb0Sav.gif

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

SPEED TEST WITH AV.JPG SPEED TEST WITHOUT AV & FIREWALL.JPG I've tested Avira Pro and the difference is insignificant

10. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Panda is pretty good.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I don't know at what point speed starts getting impacted. I know over wifi, where I am limited to maybe 250meg, I don't see any impact regardless of which AV I use. But when wired over ethernet, there is an easily measurable impact.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The results that I posted are of course when connected via ethernet. With wifi I don't get more than 100-300 Mbps and it is also virtually unaffected. With a strong connection I should think it does not matter how much one loses with normal browsing (I see no speed difference between ethernet and wifi). A good test would be streaming videos, as a significant loss would trigger a lot of buffering... Of course if Avira would severely impact my connection I would certainly try something else.

13. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Offtopic but - As an Indian , I am crying looking at your internet speeds :'(

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Me too. I'm in Australia and my upload speed is about 0.70 Mbps.

15. ance

I guess Osaban is sitting in Burj Khalifa. :eek:

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

17. Xsjx

Xsjx Registered Member

I had the same in The netherlands a year ago ); now i moved to a city i have 150 ;)

18. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Wow! :eek:

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

1 gbit internet is extremely common in Sweden and over 50% of the population have it available. It costs about 70 euro a month though. No antivirus would slow down 1 gbit internet connection to noticable lag.

Off topic: the Biggest cable isp will offer 10 gbit Q1 2018 (docsis 3.1 standard).

20. ance

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I was one of the first in my area to get it, so I am kind of a test dummy. Was offered a special deal of $70 + $10 for modem and router rental. 3yr contract, unlimited data. Normally there is a 1TB monthly cap.

So I think it is a pretty good deal, especially for the USA, where 1gb service is not widely available, and often expensive when it is. I normally wouldn't do a 3yr contract, but it is prorated if I cancel, and I don't see having a better alterative anytime is the near future. I actually like the fact that my price is locked, as normally the cable companies raise their prices every year.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is pretty common in Seoul. High density cities make it reasonably cheap to have fast connections...

23. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Doesnt apply to Indian cities :mad::'(

24. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I guess things have changed since 2012...I spent 6 months in Gothenburg, Sweden; the Internet speed was 50-100 Mbps.

25. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.