Antivirus Product Testing is Changing, Whether Vendors Like it or Not

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrBrian, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Scary.....It really comes down to common sense after all...that is our surfing habits.
    Its like Iraq out there don't know when you are gonna get hit...scary.

3. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Thanks for updating us.. :)

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Interesting article !

Even though I want to check it , the sum NSS wants for a single test results is IMO too much.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

testing has been changing for a while now,gone are the days where only in the wild viruses are tested for and gone are some products 100% pass rates in tests:-no product is ever 100% nowadays.Also gone are the days where an anti-virus vendor can claim that their product ia only an anti-virus and isn't made to detect trojans or other types of threats,the public now expect and demand all of the products to protect against all types of malware

6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Unfortunately, they still haven't changed to what is should be. The change is too slow.

No , you are wrong . The "reputable" Virus Bulletin still does this type of testing . In order to pass , all it requires is no false positive and detection of all in-the-wild malware . But this is too easy task . Additionally , they perform just *offline* on-demand and on-access scans and by doing this modern products can't excel. The dynamic tests done by AVC and AVT are much more real than any offline on-demand scan.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Whether it is known as “live testing” or “whole product dynamic testing,” the move toward a real-world assessment of the quality of protection provided by anti-malware products is encouraging...

8. eplose

eplose Registered Member

Trend Micro is on top? LOL :D

I don't think this test has something with reality.

9. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Biased BS !

10. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

The guys at NSS Labs are a joke. They perform these tests in cohorts with Trend Micro that no one in the entire industry agrees with, AMTSO has disowned them so I've heard.

I find it amusing that now that Trend has spruced up its Website reputation, that it convinced NSS that all threats come over HTTP, so hence all "real-world" testing must be done over HTTP, and guess what Trend wins! Not to mention the scoring system that gives extra points to when you block threats before they get onto the machine (nothing wrong with that), but plays right into Trend's HTTP blocking capabilities. :)

What a joke! I wonder how much NSS was paid to sell their soul. Not a lot considering their history. They are the Consumer Reports of malware testing. Which is to say they wouldn't know what malware is if it were staring them in the face.

11. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

@Wilders

Please test Trend Micro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.