Antivirus product self-protection test #2 from Anti-Malware Test Lab

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrBrian, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I get a 403 Access Forbidden.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

4. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Microsoft Security Essentials 'Failed' :rolleyes: wow that's a shock ..Failed o_O :doubt:

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Ya Shocking !!

6. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The results of MSE just confirm why i don't like using it...

8. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I think the reason why they tested Comodo 4.1 and NIS 2010 is that their newest versions weren't released at the time of testing. Although some products don't have their newest versions tested, I think this test still gives some insight about their current self-protection capabilities.

The results are quite expected IMO. Nice job KL :thumb:

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avast did well.

10. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

norton did fine
    as expected kas is good in self defense

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

looks like the Russian AV's are the kings of self protection according to this test :D

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

1. Top Performers

-Kaspersky,
    -Dr.Web,
    -Online Solutions Security Suite,
    -Outpost Security Suite Pro
    (All Made in Russia)

2. Anti-Malware Test Lab (Made in Russia).

Hmmm...Strange Coincidence...

I went through the past Tests: Kaspersky and Dr.Web come on Top Quite Often.

Am I missing something, here o_O

13. risl

risl Registered Member

You are probably not missing anything, unless you think about them faking results, which I doubt. Geographic location doesn't affect the ways these programs were attacked. The same test could probably be repeated with same results by European or US testers.

Geographics could affect traditional testing, for example if they would only choose Russian samples. This test was not about selecting malware samples, but to see if av-programs could be disabled or their operation interfered by using some specific methods.

14. risl

risl Registered Member

15. MrGSM

MrGSM Registered Member

It's a strange result, i think they want to give awards to russian products, it's normal to give it to products of your country...:)

16. Rampastein

I don't know about Dr. Web, but the rest of the Russian products here (Kaspersky, Online Solutions, Outpost) have always had good self-defence (or at least as long as I've known them). I don't find anything wrong or surprising in the results.

Also I've seen some tests by Anti-Malware test lab in which the Russian products have got average or bad results (look at their performance test for example).

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm glad to see attention being paid to the self-protection capability of anti-malware products - I don't think this is focused on enough in many reviews. I wasn't surprised to see AVG near the bottom. Too often I've found the free version disabled and sometimes almost completely deleted on infected machines.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Though it does seem to be a strange coincidence I don't feel there is anything biased going on here. As a license holder of both Kaspersky and Outpost Security Suite I can say the self defense is very good on both of them. :thumb:

19. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Something tells me this is only an excuse for something else... ;)

Excluding the fact that the Russian AV's nearly always win on tests made by this "so called group", if you want to learn something today: This isn't a detection test (unless you believe DrWeb could realistically score anywhere near 99% and that GDATA is as terrible as 70%...) This is a self-protection test for which MSE have NONE. If however they had tested the 64bit version of MSE it would pass with flying colours, since 32bit malware cannot kill 64bit processes.

This test is meaningless as is "self-protection", just another marketing thing people buy into. If malware could kill your AV in the first place it means it wasn't detected. a.k.a. the AV failed.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

An AV may initially miss a malware and allow it into the system, but still be able to detect and remove it during an active scan. Certainly it's better if an AV can resist being disabled by malware, don't you think?

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

of course, i think almost anyone would agree having an AV thats able to at least keep itself from being disabled by any little virus out there is a good thing

but as we see many times here, wenever someones personal favourite AV does badly, the test gets thrown out the windows as being pointless

now i havent looked at the details of this test to judge for myself if i think its a worthwhile test, but we cant just throw out the results of every test our favourite product does bad on simply for that reason (and everyone knows this is the primary reason people say the test is worthless)

22. fax

fax Registered Member

The methodology of scoring is (IMO) over biased towards GUI (i.e the graphical user interface) termination. The GUI killing (at user level) is counted as security weakness (0.5 points), however, for some of the product tested this is by design and does not entail a security risk. In fact, the main driver (at system level) will still protect the system from unknown or new suspicious actions. I.e. no breach of security.

But anyway..... nice test :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  23. Rampastein

Yeah, and the test is useless since every user in the world is running a 64-bit system? :rolleyes: And what about 64-bit malware (although currently very rare, the amount is increasing)?
    Many of these AVs/Suites still contain modules like HIPS, BB, etc. which in most cases will restrict the infection from damaging the system as much as it could without the security software installed. Also in many cases, when an user gets infected by a trojan-downloader, the AV will still detect and block any additional files which the trojan tries to download. Many AVs also contain additional tools to clean infections with (AVZ and Application Control in case of Kaspersky).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  24. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

MSE has never had a self-protection module.
    I wouldn't have thought Avira would place that high though. Or ESET that low.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've noticed a lot of AV on 64 bit machines is 32 bit software with 64 bit drivers. They claim it is just a effective and there is no reason to go full 64 bit. Maybe when Windows 8 comes out and there is no more 32 bit they won't have any more excuses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.