Antivirus for Windows 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, May 27, 2020.

1. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I have one old desktop with Windows 7.

I am unable to install Avira and Kaspersky on it.

Any suggestion, which can be installed on Win 7 and light too.

As it is an old system and slow too.

2. StealthyTrojan

StealthyTrojan Registered Member

Can't you install windows 10?

3. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

No, this is an old desktop for kids at home.

4. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

NOD32!

5. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

From what I understand, if you already have Windows 7 then Windows 10 should work

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

BitDefender Free

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I strongly recommend SecureAPlus. I'm running it on my Win7 laptop and it's feather light as well as effective. The link I gave offers a free 90 day trial of the Pro version (non-free). I run the "Essentials" version (also non-free but lower-priced than the Pro). I do NOT recommend the free version.

PM me if you have any questions.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Unfortunately that is not always the case. I have a relative that still has Windows 7 on a PC I cannot upgrade due to a lack of ANY graphics drivers.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You don't need any AV, especially if you use the computer for your kids. You can install Shadow Defender, it creates a virtual volume every time you boot the computer, any malware or game's configuration problems are deleted with a simple reboot. Very easy to use, no performance impact whatsoever, and can be pass-worded if necessary. I've used it for more than 10 years and never had a problem:
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/

10. StealthyTrojan

StealthyTrojan Registered Member

And what is the problem with that? Windows 10 is probably lighter, it should activate, if not, the windows 7 key should work on windows 10.

What if you install windows 8 graphics driver? Also no? Must be really old. I have a 10 year old laptop that has windows 10 just fine, windows update takes care of that very well. The gpu driver is still on Nvidia's website.

11. xxJackxx

It is quite old. ATi x1900xtx. I'm surprised it still works at all but it runs Windows 7 without issue.

12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

@ankupan, I couldn't agree more with what @Osaban say above! I have relied on Shadow Defender to protect our 3 PCs (see my signature). Both the Win7 and WinXP PCs (used by wife and daughter respectively) are always in Shadow Mode, so when any malware finds its way onto their systems (and it has several times!) Shadow Defender has 'saved the day' by completely removing the malware and returning the system to its clean and stable state upon system restart. :thumb:

Edit: I should disclose that no online banking or credit card transactions are ever conducted on the Win7 or XP systems!

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  13. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Comodo v5.12....

14. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Emsisoft still supports Windows 7

Edit:
    May we know the specs? If it is really old and slow, perhaps Panda Free is the only way to go. Maybe even Webroot or Zemana?

15. xxJackxx

I'm going to agree with the other on giving Shadow Defender a shot.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

ESET NOD32 has always impressed me as being light and easy on an old system. I run it on two 7x64 systems, one of which has only 4 GB of RAM and a 2.9 GHz CPU, and it does well with ESET. Of course I do all that I can to keep it uncluttered, which adds to its performance, but a heavy AV would quickly turn that old machine into molasses.

17. SAustn2

SAustn2 Registered Member

After I got EMET Installed in Windows 7 I uninstalled antivirus, just try to use common sense and you can always use Virustotal for free for any downloads. I do run Emsisoft Emergency Kit occasionally but it's just an on-demand scanner.

The antivirus I uninstalled was Microsoft Security Essentials, what I did like about it was that it did not have advertisements trying to get me to upgrade to a paid or full suite like so many other 3rd party antivirus's do.

Nevermind if its for kids then I would vote osabans idea as best with a non-administrative account.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As someone who is actually still running Win7 on a vintage laptop, I heartily recommend SecureAPlus OR VoodooShield -- in that exact order. They are both cloud-based, feather light, doggone-near bulletproof, & they do NOT load up your computer with multiple daily masses of signature updates.

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I am running BitDefender Total Security quit nicely on an ancient ThnkPad with W7P64.

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Shadow Defender is a great alternative and can be the base of light signature-less security setup. Similar to some user earlier SD is working on my 3 laptops - XP, Win7, Win 8.1 and in each case have the good campanion - SpyShelter. I think even SS Free can be useful addition to SD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.