Antivirus for Pentium 133mhz

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TommyLeePark, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyLeePark

TommyLeePark Registered Member

Hey everyone!
    Thanks for the replies!!

Like I said, I am using TinyXP, which is a modified version of windows XP. Lighter. I admit it still would run better in a 233mhz MMX. But it works and that's what matters ;)
    A friend of mine said he is going to try to get me 128mbs ram for that laptop. If he does so much the better. If not, well, I will do what I can. Use firewall, use a safe browser, use common sense, and use a limited user account (LUA, I finally discovered what those stand for, lol). Also, I will make sure to use on demand scans every once in a while. That's the better I can do. It will have to be enough.

As for the browser questions, does anyone has any advice or knows where I can get some info??

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

all the av's that would run ok on such a low spec machine were intended for win95/98 and wont run ok on xp,tiny xp is lighter but not that much,take windows off and install linux with more ram unless your a bit daft in your habits you prob won't nedd an av

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Get rid of the model T and buy a budget computer and be done with it.

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

With a P133 mhz machine you don't need to worry, modern virus or other malware won't even be able to run themselves...

/C.

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

id install ubuntu.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

If it will install, Puppy Linux, no av.

7. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Seriously tiny windows on that machine is a it of a joke, if anything you need to look into XP embedded something designed for low resource usage. It can be done.

I also highly suggest you look into a small foot print Linux distribution, SliTaz is the lowest resource usage by far and can be installed with as little as 16mb of RAM. I have tried it and it is amazingly robust for a 30mb iso.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SliTaz_GNU/Linux

8. TommyLeePark

TommyLeePark Registered Member

Hey everyone!
    Thanks for the replies, but, like I said on my first post, I DON'T want linux. =P
    I have decided to go with a on demand scan. I will also, periodicaly, copy the entire disk to my usb pen drive and test it in my desktop with Avira Antivir and SuperAntiSpyware.
    I will also use a LUA to make it harder for spywares to install themselves on my pc.

Thanks anyway! And thanks for all the sugestions, i will take into consideration. ;)

9. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I think you have got enough suggestions and i believe that you'll soon gonna implement the same. So its time to close this thread.

I request mods to close the thread.

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

64 Mb Aren't even enough to run XP let alone AV. ( SP2 / 3 is even more resource heavy then original XP )

So you wont get an answer here. Because it was a pretty insane ( I am sorry to say, if not Stupid ) question to begin with.

The lightest you could get is previous version of F-Prot. Which uses 2 - 3MB of memory. It is the lightest of all Real Time AV. However will it run on your PC is another question.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

What gives you the audacity to suggest another members thread be closed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.