Antivirus for Pentium 133mhz

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TommyLeePark, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyLeePark

TommyLeePark Registered Member

Hello everyone!
    I have a thread in other section talking about what firewall would be better to use in a Pentium 133mhz (non-MMX) with 64mbs ram, using XP SP2.

I decided to open a new one here to talk about ANTIVIRUS. I have already found a good firewall (kerio2.1.5) but as for antivirus I am on trouble...

I need real time guard. Tryed ThreatFire and it was TOO HEAVY for my system. Tried Avira Antivir and still will take 3 minutes to boot, bot to mention that it can't update (crashes). I don't know what to do...

Someone sugested IMMUNET, but that will need internet connection. If i don't have internet in the moment, I don't have antivirus...
    Is there any good antivirus that will work with in this system? I don't mind if it is an older version as long as it still has updates... Also, preferably freeware or open source.

Any sugestion is welcome. ok, on a second note, don't sugest using Linux, I DON'T want Linux. lol, just clarifying that ;)

Also, If this is considered double posting I am sorry, and please just delete this thread.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

i think panda free,they say is very light in resources.

3. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Go with ClamWin Free...And do use these policy's in order to secure yourself...

1. Always use LUA.
    2. Apply SRP Policy.
    3. Disable Auto-Run feature.
    4. Use SuRun in-case.

And last but not least use your common sense.

You will get maximum protection by implementing the above things in your PC.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, you could try Avast Free but don't expect the experience to be great. Running a full system scan so that the files get cached should make it better once/if the scan even finishes. :D

That's the same thing like Immunet, save for the tray icon.

5. AvinashR

He's not interested with Immunet that's why i suggested him ClamWin...

6. doktornotor

Eh. It's the same thing. In-the-cloud Immunet technology. The only difference it the branding/tray icon. So, I really don't get the point of that suggestion, sorry.

7. TommyLeePark

Thanks for the replies everyone!
    Well, my problem is really that I need it to be VERY light on resources. Otherwise it will slow down (even more) my laptop. I have been thinking, would it be possible to have multiple programs? Like, some small antivirus (the kind that never pass the tests but are extremly light) acting together... would that be an option?

If not... Well, I am really out of ideas here :( I know (and always say) that common sense is the best antivirus that exists. However, if you are going to facbook or orkut, you can't have a lot of common sense, you can have a virus embeed in a image =/ So no option but to have an antivirus.

Thanks in advance!

8. AvinashR

That's why i have asked you to implement SRP Policy...and be remain with your LUA account.

See if it (Virus) can't execute it can't infect....

Always remain up to date and enjoy...

9. AvinashR

See if a virus is embedded in a jpg or png or mp3 files then again it need to be executed then and only it will gonna infect you. But if you have implemented the SRP policy then by default nothing can be executed without Admin rights.

And in case if something is malicious which needs admin permission to execute then you can upload it on virustotal in order to see the third opinion.

10. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

I think this was touched on in the previous thread about firewalls. You're really asking the impossible with the machine specification you have.

Even if you put ClamAV / Immunet, it's not real time from what I remember. It checks programs when they launch, or when you request a scan and it's still in it's infancy.

Your much better off, just setting your computer up, taking an image of the hard disk and wiping it the moment you suspect anything is wrong.

11. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Considering Microsoft had the following to say about XP (BEFORE the service packs)

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:

* Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
    * At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
    * At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

12. mm79k

mm79k Registered Member

I'd replace the RAM with at least 1GB before thinking of an antivirus

this will make huge difference and you would be able to use any BASIC AV exists today :)

13. AvinashR

At least go for 512 MB or 1 GB, if your budget is too low. Then and then only you can enjoy a maximum protection.

14. MrGSM

MrGSM Registered Member

I think NOD32 V2.7 is lighter....

15. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

16. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the chipsets that go with those old Pentiums can only use up to 384 MB of RAM.

Re the antivirus, I must echo some of the other sentiments - don't even bother with one, just use LUA and SRP (and hope like crazy that your bootleg copy of XP isn't already compromised).

17. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I was thinking this myself Gullible Jones, it probably won't support that amount.

18. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

133 MHz? I don't think an av is the problem. I'm not sure Koobface will run with those specs. How old is your pc? What OS?

19. TommyLeePark

Hello everyone!
    THANKS for the replies!!

Well, right now I am about to give up having an antivirus. At least a real time protective one. I have tried:

Avira Antivir - Too heavy

ThreatFire - Too Heavy

DriveSentry - Too Heavy

I am going to investigate about that "lua" and "SRP" things... lol, never heard of it.

About TinyXP, I have copied the entire Windows Folder to my pen and tested it for virus and spyware in my desktop. There was one file that antivir avira said was dangerous:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmdow.exe had pattern of APPL/HIDEWINDOWS.31231.1

I have deleted it and rebooted. Everything works fine, so, most likely it was not necessary and was only there to do s***.
    SuperAntiSpyware dtected nothing. So, yeah, I think this is a pretty much safe copy of TinyXP as long as one deletes the file I mentioned.

On another subject, I would like to make a question about web broswers.
    I have been using Off By One browser for some time now and I am very satisfied. However, it can't access hotmail, as it as no javascript. I wanted to know of some web broswer similar to OB1 that can access hotmail, safely.
    I know about K-Meleon portable and QTWeb. Are these safe? Which one is better (lighter, faster and safer)?
    If there are other options just let me know.
    Also, would a text only browser be a good idea to access email? Would it be able to access hotmail, and maybe be faster and safer? Or the fact that is text only does not have any additional gain in security and speed?

Sorry for making so many questions but I am really a noob when it comes to this and I really need help. ;)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

20. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Look, not sure where you live, and I understand times can be financially tough, but you could get a MUCH better laptop used for the cost of one of those antivirus programs. At least a P4 with half a GB of ram, for sure. So why not get one of those, and then use a free AV like Avast or MSE?

21. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

lol 133mhz,

id go with a USB on-demand scanner such as Drweb's CureIt.

but why the really old computer, you could pick up one with even a 1000mhz CPU for pennies, probably less than any component in my own computer, or cheaper than a PS3 game.

22. TommyLeePark

Hey everyone!
    I live in Portugal, and here is VERY dificult to buy used laptops. And new ones are very expensive, for me at least, since I am out of a job for a year now! :(
    That's why I am going with freeware. And that's why I use this old laptop. It's not easy to upgrade though, if I could get more memory I would, but it's not easy.
    Anyway, I think I am going with a on demand scan once per week. Also, about web broswers, which one would be safer? QTWeb, World, KMeleon?? Or any good text only broswer. I need it only for hotmail. Other sites I use OffBy1.

any sugestions??

THANKS!!

23. doktornotor

Well, if you haven't tried Avast yet... give it a go. Just the filesystem shield and behaviour shield, maybe the network one as well. Shrug. Anyway, pretty sure you could get a cheap decent used laptop on German eBay or whatever.

24. Avast is a bit piggy on my netbook; I would not bet on it even working on a machine with 64 MB of RAM.

I would keep looking for cheap laptops, and more importantly keep looking for jobs. Good luck with the latter, BTW. Being jobless sucks.

25. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

You can't run a modern antivirus with 64MB of RAM and a 133MHz processor on Windows XP. How are you able to even use your computer (considering the fact that XP requires more than 133Mhz to operate!). ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 or an old version of F-Prot are probably the lightest antiviruses that I know of. According to an old review on PC Advisor, NOD32 2.7 requires 32 MB of RAM and an Intel 386 or AMD Athlon equivalent. You'd have to contact ESET about trialing, buying, and downloading NOD32 2.7 because although they are supporting it until 2012, it's not available as a direct download from their website anymore.

Regards,

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.