Antivirus for geeks

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Gullible Jones, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Quick question: does anyone make a full, on-access AV product (for Windows) that can be installed with only a command line interface? i.e. settings are changed and scans invoked through a command line tool under cmd.exe; runs as a service with no GUI whatsoever; and automatically blocks execution of known malicious files, with no notification other than an "Access denied" shell popup?

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit has a command line scanner.

3. Gullible Jones

No, not what I'm after. :) I mean a realtime AV, that runs as a daemon, with a command line interface. The sort of thing you'd deploy on a Windows server.

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Oh. Sorry Gullible. That's a little out of the my realm of knowledge. I do know that F-secure and Avast both have server AV for linux/unix I think CLam AV also has one.

5. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

AFAIK you can disable the gui of Eset End Point products. However why would you want to do so?

6. anon

anon Registered Member

7. Gullible Jones

@phalanaxus: resource overhead, basically. Fancy GUIs are not the only source of overhead in an AV program, but they are a source of overhead, often much more than necessary due to fancy skins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.