Antivirus FAQ

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LUSHER, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

To all antivirus experts, enthauists

I'm trying to create a vendor neutral FAQ about antiviruses, that can help clear up some of the myths, misunderstanding with regards to antiviruses. The aim here is to arm users with knowledge to help him make decisions when purchasing antiviruses, without getting into questions like whether Antivirus A is really better than antivirus B.

I have made a very rough start at http://wiki.castlecops.com/Antivirus_FAQ with some sample answers using my very meager understanding.

You can contribute better, fuller answers, more relevant questions, links/resources etc.

Answers should strive to be technically accurate without going too much into obscure details (this can be linked to a resource). In cases where there is some debate, we should strive to represent both sides of the debate fairly.

Anyone game to help me share their knowledge and expertise? I accept answers, comments given here, but you can edit the page directly if you wish.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Brilliant idea! Should come in very handy as a link-to! I'm sure you'll have lots of help from the more qualified wilders members, and some questions from us lesser qualified!

3. 19monty64

After the weekend maybeo_O Looking good so far though!!! :thumb: :thumb:

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Looks very good :)

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I think that there is a misunderstanding regarding "running" two AVs.

I think that many vendors and security experts are quick to tell users that running two AVs is a no-no, and that is what the novice or average user retains.... two AVs could mean conflict, instability and blue screens.

I "run" two AVs, and have for many years. One is real time and the other is on-demand only. Most of us here know that the only danger lies with installing two AVs as memory resident, or real time applications. Knowledgeable security program users understand that one AV as real time and one AV as on-demand is possible, acceptable and does not create problems. (Some might say it is overkill, but I am speaking here of whether it is doable and safe for the system.)

Long story short, it might be helpful, in the realm of clearing up "some of the myths, misunderstanding with regards to antiviruses", if this was addressed, so that folks can undertstand and learn how to install on-demand AV scanners, what the different is between real time and on-demand, and so that maybe some well-intentioned people will stop telling users to never run two AVs.

HTH

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

seriously, i think you should stop doing this.

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

that's a nice idea. I'll try to help you. :)

8. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Thanks. I'm still waiting.... :)

9. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I guess it depends on which av's you are using. I once tried this with aol avs (kav6) real-time, and Bitdefender free, on demand. My system locked up quicker than a government office at 5:00 p.m. on a Friday.

10. 19monty64

Back on topic, it would be great to see that posting finished! Now if only we knew some av-experts :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

It was a dumb idea anyway.

12. 19monty64

I think it would make a good sticky-link, especially for new members questions. We just need a few av-experts to see the thread and have the time to fill in some of the blanks. Perhaps posting some of the questions in this thread could get the ball rolling...

13. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Q: What is a memory scanner?

Q: What is a memory scanner?

Tell me as much as you know about this topic. Thanks.

14. 19monty64

Okay, point taken, :( I guess I'm too optimistic too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.