Antivirus conflict

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by lhgriff, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lhgriff

lhgriff Registered Member

Help!

My wife has bought a new netbook, downloaded nod32 but neglected to uninstall the preloaded mcafee antivirus. Now the netbook freezes when she boots it up.

I know she needs to enter safe mode from the BIOS page but what are the steps she needs to take from there to uninstall mcafee?

Any advice I can pass on would be appreciated, we are 1000 miles apart at the moment and this is our means of contact.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I would uninstall eset first. Use the removal tool if you need it. (I would use it)
    ESET removal tool http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289&cat=EAV4&actp=LIST

Then I would unistall Mcaffee. You definitely want to use the Mcafee removal tool when uninstalling it. http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
    (read and follow the instructions)

Then I would reinstall Nod32

3. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

fret not.... just boot into windows safe mode with networking support, download and run mcafee uninstaller and run right from safe modeeee, then your set for sure.you can leave NOD on there I see no reason to remove it because the mcafee uninstaller will not affect it.

Or you can go the latter with what Mr. Moneybags said, But I don't think you need to go to those extremes, just mcafee and I think you'll be oki.

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I'm the excessive compulsive type. By gosh I gotta clean it all up and redo it the right way!:D

5. ccomputertek

But then he might get a stuck corrupt registry key and have problems therafter with eset if he removes it.Is that to say that if he chooses the latter, that he too has OCD ?

A little comedy mixed with PC support, seems twice as funny as regular comedy. :isay:

6. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello lhgriff;

Being a new computer, I'm thinking there will be a recovery partition on the hard drive.
    If so, she can boot into that and restore the computer to it's original state;
    no need to uninstall NOD32 because it won't be there.

From that point, it should be a simple uninstall of Mcafee and she's on her way !

Good luck !

7. ccomputertek

It could turn into a can of worms, just keep it simple. *puppy*

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Agreed...I'd just uninstall McAfee in safe mode.

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

My suggestion was the best. End of discussion thread closed.

Thank you :cool: lol

10. ccomputertek

JohnnyWadOfMoney you know how computers can be, one false move can mean a bunch of things going arai, I agree with ccomputertek, just keep it simple, he needs to get rid of mcafee, so just stick to that and see how it goes is the best IMO. :p

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Agreed. One step at a time. :thumb:

12. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Uninstalling McAfee will not affect NOD32 in any way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.