Antivirus and App Whitelisting

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sinlam, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi guys,
    We recently launch a new beta software called SecureAPlus, which combines both antivirus and application whitelisting. Application whitelisting is an emerging approach in combating viruses and malware to whitelist software which is considered safe to run, and blocking all others. You can sign up and download the software from http://www.secureage.com/beta_invite/.

All beta testers will get perpetual license when it is released in August 2013. Hope to see more users signing up for the free software.
    Please let me know if you have any question.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Can you share what AV engine is part of the product?
    Is it in-house or bought from some of the major vendors?

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Signed up for beta testing. Lets see what its about.

4. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Signed up too. Pretty curious.

5. KelvinW4

It uses ClamAV

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hmm...looks interesting like some AE with AV module...but why as AV you have implemented ClamAV? Is not so effective and "a bit" to heavy in my opinion. I know that min. requirements are quite high but I noticed 5 processes and their system usage are also "quite high"...too high for me.
    An interesting things is feature "Restricted Aplications" but I don't know which of listed apps is in fact restricted...maybe each of them?...and how they are limited?
    Some screens from my test-installation
    130527213049_5.jpg
    Panorama 1.jpg
    Panorama 2.jpg

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Can you disable AV?
    I signed up but still got no reply from them....

8. KelvinW4

You can disable AV.

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Thanks, K!
    :thumb:

10. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Sorry, if your email was missed. If you have further query, feel free to send it to secureaplus@secureage.com.

11. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Does it support XP?

12. KelvinW4

XP SP3 32bit only

13. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Thanks for your feedback. You are right to say that ClamAV is 'a bit' heavy. We will look into this further.
    A bit of a brief overview on the application whitelisting and restricted applications.
    In the Application Whitelisting, only the applications that are marked as trusted installer are allowed to bring in new trusted application.
    The trust level of an application can be set either manually by doing a right-mouse-click on any files including .exe or automatically. By default, the setting is automatic whereby application with a valid digital signature is trusted and is classified as a trusted installer automatically once they start to bring in new executable files.
    But it can be very risky to allow some applications, even if they are signed, to be classified as a trusted installer automatically. This is when Restricted Applications come into play. Take IE browser as an example. It is extremely risky to automatically trust any executable files downloaded by IE browser. It could potentially be a malware that use the browser to silently download and execute its file which may harm your machine. In this case, IE browser is set as a restricted application to prevent it to be automatically classified as a trusted installer. As such, any new executable file created by IE browser will not be trusted and if a malware managed to use it to secretly download its payload, it will not be able to run at all.

14. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

It can also support 64bit but we are still doing an intensive testing internally. If all go well, we will add it to the system requirements.

15. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Thanks. I tried to look for it on the website, but probably I'm too tired already. :D

16. jynx

jynx Registered Member

Can i use it together with another antivirus ?

17. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Thanks sinlam for your explanations but I feel still some lack of informations :)
    - is it means that all listed in such tab apps are restricted?
    - should I to do something to limit some app or is it enough if I add that app to the list of restricted
    - how apps on list of restricted are limited...in how way?...similar to DropMyRights?
    - is the option "Do not ask what to do when dealing with untrusted file..." similar in functionality to e.g. "Lockdown Mode" in ERP?

18. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Yes. This is also one of the unique feature of SecureAPlus. It complements other antivirus software to provide you with another layer of defense.

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Just received a reply from SecureAPlus that I can login now.
    But, web page rejects it with "Error logging in. Email is not activated yet" message.

20. jynx

jynx Registered Member

Thanks. I'll try it with my curent AV.

21. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Reply to your question:
    - Yes, all those listed in the tab are restricted.
    - To limit an app (especially for signed app), it is sufficient to just add it to the restricted list so that it will not become a trusted installer automatically. In most cases, you can do this on the fly. You can refer to SecureAPlus user guide, page 80, Scenario 3 for more information. In this example, it shows the case whereby when you install 7-zip, you will be prompted with a dialog box to decide whether the file is an installer. You should set the file as a trusted installer to allow it to install and run the installed application later.
    - It is restricted in the sense that executable files can be created but cannot be trusted.
    - Yes, you right. When you choose that option, any untrusted executable file that try to run will be simply blocked.

22. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi Siketa, Did you receive the activation email?

23. sinlam

sinlam Registered Member

Hi guys, there is a new update v1.0.26 with some enhancements and bugs fixes. The default setting of SecureAPlus is 'Automatic Update'. So you do not need to do anything as the software will update itself automatically. You can visit SecureAPlus forum or tweeter for future updates.

24. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Yes. :thumb:
    Downloading it right now....;)

25. Look at my sig, I favour whitelisting solutions and sandboxing/policy containment, so I really believe in the direction you have chosen, but . . .

Positioning your software as an AV PLUS WHITELISTINGS will cause head-on comparisons on the AV-part of this software.

Think about the marketing challenge you are going to face using open source AV: in comparative tests it will be outperformed by 'classic' AV's.

From day-1 you will be forced into defense. Messaging is crucial for an IT-company/startup, choose the themes you want to communicate and on which you will be referred and mentioned.

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.