Antivirus 4.0 install problems

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RichJ, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichJ

RichJ Registered Member

Hi all,

I've trawled the forums and not found a suitable solution to my problem (although I have found some useful tips).
    I'm having a hell of a time trying to get Antivirus 4 installed on my machine.

During the install process, shortly after the box shows 'installing drivers', the install rolls back and terminates. The first time it does this there are no error messages and in the install is halted due to what the screen helpfully shows as 'an error' (no clue as to what it is though!).

If I try to install again straight away, part way through the process I am shown a variety of errors telling me that the installer is unable to write numerous items to the registry. Clicking retry does not work and ignoring them only prompts another message later telling me the kernel service (?) 'ekrn' cannot be installed - and that's when the install ends this time.

After clearing out the registry and deleting program folders, I try again and the whole process repeats itself.

I've contact ESET directly and they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot - shown by the fact they thought my request for assistance was a sales enquiry.

Am running Windows XP Home 32bit (and have downloaded the correct version of the software!). Have also generated an install.log file as per an article in the FAQ on the ESET support site.

Would be grateful for any assistance anyone can offer!
    o_O

2. The Chez

The Chez Registered Member

One of the ESET moderators here should be able to help you. Go easy on ESET though, no program is ever 100% without it's issues.

3. RichJ

RichJ Registered Member

I'll go easy on anyone who helps me! ;)

I've been using the Business version at work for a while now and like it a lot, so thought I'd give it a try for myself at home.

It's just sod's law that things haven't gone as smoothly with this install as they did at work.

*sigh*

4. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

try to download and install " windows installer cleanup utility " and see if the old install database got stuck in the " hidden " windows folder " installer " and remove it if you see an entry for NOD32.

also try to download the latest version of the windows installer " 4.5 " ? for windows XP from microsoft.This is another reason i veer away from using the NTFS because sometimes it screws up permissions for everything.

there is also a windows installer section in the registry where information will still be even if you use the cleanup utility, this sounds more like a permissions screw up on windows part though for the problem you have.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please follow these instructions and supply the log created to ESET Customer Care for perusal.

6. RichJ

RichJ Registered Member

I tried that already but the form doesn't have an option to attach the file. I also got a response saying that my details couldn't be found.

7. RichJ

RichJ Registered Member

Problem solved. Spoke to two very helpful chaps on the phone and, after deleting legacy AVG keys from the registry and completely uninstalling the software for my Samsung mobile phone, all is finally well.
    Sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.