antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Why doesnt antivir scan as many files as other antivirus programes.
    If i scan with kav, nod,etc 140,000 files checked.
    With antivir less than 50,000.
    I have max settings on scan all files

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Since it is not due simply accepting the default scanning option, the reason lies elsewhere.

The number of files scanned by an AV will vary mainly due to differences between them in counting specific file types, particularly compressed files.

Command AV for example, can scan numerous files inside an archive and only report 1 file scanned. Repeat the same file scan, but this time with say KAV, and you then see that many more files are reported.

Further it also depends upon whether an AV can support a particular packed/archived format.

Overall;

1. You have probably a number of archives on your system. Therefore, depending upon whether or not the relevant AV scanner can access these archives, you will see a difference in the total number of files scanned by each individual AV.

2. You may also have a number of packed files on your system. If you do have these, some malware within them might not be detected if the scanner you are using does not unpack the specific method they have been packed with. The file itself is still seen by the AV scanner but it cannot unpack that format.

KAV is king of the unpackers, so on many systems this AV will give the greatest number of files scanned.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  3. waters

waters Registered Member

So if antivir only scans 50,000 of possible 140,000,due to whatever reason,than i am not protected as much as if i use kav, nod,etrust etc,which all scan a much larger number.
    Thanks

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No, you cannot make this conclusion for the reasons I outlined above.

The total number of files scanned and the total number of malware in an AV database do not necessarily indicate the level of protection given.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.