Antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

well since i have no browsing issues maybe ill just keep it for that added layer :rolleyes:

2. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I m using Avira from last 6 months and not found any problem yet. :thumb:

3. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

No harm in that.
    Glad it's working well for you! :D

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Compared to Linux, under XP my browsing takes a hit with a slight delay as I run the web shield,still I am willing to pay that price for some repose.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Compared to others, the hit on browsing is very very minimal in Avira, as well as Avast. Small price to pay. A well written web scanner like both of these will have minimal impact...

6. noway

noway Registered Member

Not specifically referring to Antivir here but in general:

It can be well-written, but other factors like internet connection speed and file type scanning options may cause an impact. Like if you go to a photography site and the page contains 50 jpg files, each 3 MB in size. Many web scanners are set by default to check all files. Everyone uses the internet in different ways and will be impacted differently and for some users speed matters whereas for others it doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It's called sandbox.. it prevents it from going any ware.. no need for magic just think outside of the box.

8. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Actually it's a matter of rationality. You don't need a webscanner- if your AV is any good (and Avira provides the best detection according to several tests) it will catch anything http throws at it- plain and simple. Why take even a very small performance hit when having a webguard is redundant and unnecessary? Avira's Guard will keep you safe without adding false "layers" of program modules to your box. If Avira's Guard needs help, we are all in trouble and should uninstall it now.

I am a contributing member of the Avira forum, and I have never read any reasoned argument as to why a webguard is necessary. They added it for the public-and it adds zero to the equation.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  9. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Actually, I know all about sandboxes, HIPS and other "outside the box"-methods of protection ;)

It was a really a joke, although my point is still valid: To scan a file for malware, the file has to lie somewhere on your computer (harddrive or RAM). The reason I joked about it, is that some people seem to be obsessed with detecting threats as early as possible, even though it has no additional security benefit. For instance, whether a malware is detected during download of a file, or after the file is finished downloading, doesn't matter from a security point of view. It's still detected and blocked before execution, and that's what matters :)

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ola,

What about embedded code in data files or distributed processing options in protocols or the hosting OS, this makes the line between storage and execution much thinner.

Do you think these threats are overrated to create Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) for marketing reasons?

Regards Kees

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I agree, but paranoia here often replaces reason and of course there is no security benefit- but many are here to promote things that provide unneeded "layers" of protection.

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Use the provided WebGuard. No slowdowns when browsing? Keep it. Sluggish browsing? Disable it.

13. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Re AntiVir's WebGuard, I've had it (intentionally :eek:) pluck malicious code from unscrupulous sites. (Don't ask, I won't reveal them!) It sure does work well. Much rather have any malware "snatched from the air" than from the hard drive. Per speed, I don't notice a difference on my 20 MBPS cable connection. It beats F-Secure's Client Security in that regard, another program that I respect.

14. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

With the latest program update I can't tell the webguard is even running. It's my second layer of kevlar protection...:eek: :D

15. Arup

Arup Guest

I am on an infected WAN till my broadband comes and every few seconds I get hit with JS/Dldr.Agent.4815 and Avira keps it at bay.

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Kind of like a quote from you eather in this post or another... why Let it in the door, when you can stop it before it even knocks. :cool: "at least that was the sum of it"

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Correct........why do we have doors and perimeters.

18. maddawgz

But i want to test it to see if it works lol ......

What is this Sandboxie thing? How does a novice use it?

19. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

Agreed - it depends on what you are looking at on the web as to whether there will be a noticeable bottleneck in display of pages. But for general browsing, I notice no difference whatsoever with Avira WebGuard enabled.

One thing I noticed which concerned me when I first used the Webguard was that downloads of large files seemed to be slowed to a trickle, at least as indicated by the download dialogue or manager in use. However, this was only WebGuard doing it's thing - it turned out that the download was still progressing as normal, but was being captured by Webguard first. When Web Guard had finished it's thing, the download progress bar would jump to 100% immediately - and the net effect on download time was neglisgible.

20. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Of course it works, but the interesting question is wheter the malware would have been stopped just as effectively by the regular realtime on-access scanner.

Maybe you can do a test - one with webscanner enabled and another with only realtime scanner, and see if it makes any difference :thumb:

21. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I just might do that. I'll say now that the AntiVir Guard will in all likeliness catch everything as well. We'll see!

22. maddawgz

how do you stop that noise when it finds a virus can you turn it off :eek:

23. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Expert mode, under (scan) look in (further actions) uncheckmark (Acouistic alert) if you want no sound alert. also there you can choose your own wave sound.

24. maddawgz

oh great thanks i might have something less loud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.