Antivir - which heuristic level?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Drew99GT, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

While looking around the board last week, I ran into a thread that gave exact numbers for how many detections and false positives Antivir had at various heuristic levels from the AV-comparatives test. Now I can't find it!! DOH.

Anyone know that thread or a link to the numbers? I think it was like 14 false positives with medium, and like 25 with higho_O

I'm trying to figure out if I should set it to high or keep it at medium. Thanks

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, keep it high( max) and send false positives to them so that they will improve it.

3. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

For the number of false positives in the May test see:
    AV-Comparatives.org tests -> The Best setting for heuristics test?
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347

AFAIK there isn't any test that compares the detection rated of the different heuristics levels

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I would keep it on medium. However, some of them aren't on at all by default so be sure to turn them on in the Configuration.

Medium is probably the best balance of detection of FP's. You really don't need high unless you are extremely risky in your computer habits. People do tend to over-obsess a little here, I do it too...really, I bet all of us, knowing what we know, could do without any security software. But I digress. Medium will work. Use low if you don't like FP's but you won't detect quite as much.

5. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I think Antivir prefers it if you have it set to high and report any false positives, that way they can remove them and continue to improve the heuristic.

6. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Me, obsessive, about computer security?? Never. Hah!!!! :eek:

Thanks guys :)

By the way, isn't Avira set to do a major update to the heuristic soon, similar to KAV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.