Antivir still rises to the top.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Trying to be objective I have been testing a lot of software on 3 computers of late. I agree with all that Kas and Nod cant be beat. They offer great protection and support. But no matter what I try, I end up coming back to Antivir. I realize the jury is still out on it, but they themselves have stated their is still work to do. I commend them also for their honesty.

But having enter their beta, left to see what others offered, I am going to just have to stick with them. I firmly feel, they are positioning themselves to be a contender to go head to head with the other 2 by the first of the year. So even you havent given it a go, I urge you to try it out. Gotta go, before someone mentions Trend.:doubt:

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi,

I agree with you trjam. i reccomend kaspersky,bitdefender and antivir as great av's. sure nod32 is good to but its to high reccomended here.

lodore

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nod is real good. And no matter what you think, I am sure their suite is going to be a killer to. Kas with its future additions, is going to be even greater. It all boils down to the three by years end.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I did say that nod32 is great but its to over hyped here at wilders with all the nod32 resellers here. as i said in another post i want to buy an av dont want to join a cult=p

I do see your point thou its what im gonna be using for at least a year.

hmm i think my signiture seems to be a few lines shorter and still east to read.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would say a loyal following would be more appropriate. Hopefully one will get started for Antivir. Kas has one to, so lets remain objective.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i guess loyal folowing would be a better name.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

lodore,

The recommendations for NOD32 here are no more out of line than those for KAV/KIS at its home forum site or Avira at its home forum site. By sheer coincidence of location that should be the expected norm, even in the other AV forum since members who frequent the site will disproportionately be customers of the vendors with official forums here.

The same is true of any location that has a vendor based forum. There's nothing wrong with that, although I do wish that all posters would be much more respectful of the choices that others do make. Most are, a small minority are not. It is one thing to discuss how one went about selecting product X and the technical merits of the analysis performed, it's another to be dismissed out of hand as obviously somewhat addled for simply making the selection. Unfortunately that happens here and elsewhere, although we do try to reign that tendency in. Trust me - it's happened to me at the KL forums despite the fact that I probably personally own more KAV WKS licenses than 99+% of the posters there - since I just renewed for 2 years, I will have 5 years running with a KAV WKS 5 pack - some can't seem to get by or let go of the fact I also own a couple of NOD32 licenses. For the record, these folks are never KL employees or forum moderators, they are always what I like to believe are overly enthusiastic customers spreading their new-found insights. All vendors have them. I just wish they realized positive advocacy can very quickly turn to be a net negative.

As for Avira and a handful of other products, they are all on the top of their game.

Blue

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi,
    Thats very True Blue.

but what im talking about is sometimes there are posts like "reccomend av for newbie" and one not mentioning names said nod32. but nod32 is more aimed at people more experienced users. so there reccomondation was not to do with the topic and not reallly newbie friendly.

lodore

9. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Well, Nod32 offers more advanced setup options for the experienced user, but is fine to install for a newbie as well. The GUI may take a second to find the scanning options, but anyone would know what to do when an infected file is found and prompted with the familiar options of leaving, quarantining or deleting.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Hey, nothing beats free software :) I used to use antivir back in the days, the only problem was the large update files and constant problems trying to connect to the update servers. Because of that i moved to avg. Hopefully they have improved those areas.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I can't say how the Avira free version updates, but I am trying the Premium, and updates are often and smooth. I have no complaint. I will probably keep Avira after the trial. I do want to compare the differences between the Premium and the free versions. There is no chart that makes that comparison as far as I can find.

I like Avira better than anything I have tried except KAV6, which I am using on my desktop. I prefer Avira to NOD, F-Secure, Bit Defender, AVG, Avast, McAfee, or Norton.

The price makes it more desirable than KAV6 at the current prices. At equal prices I would probably go with KAV6.

Best,
    Jerry

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I used to use dial up and downloading those huge 3-5 meg update files was just too time consuming. I guess its not really a problem now that i have broadband. I see people saying you can get the premium version for 13 euros or pounds or whatever it is yet when i go to the site it costs 20, am i looking in the wrong place?

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not checked the size of the Avira updates. However, I just finished a week on dial-up, and did not notice that the updates were very large or time consuming. Evidently there have been some significant changes. A 3-5 meg update would not be satisfactory on dial-up, and not that acceptable on broadband considering the performance of other AVs. and their updates.

Jerry

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Update problems? Not very often... three times in a three month period. Exceptable for such a good FREE AV product. No complaints here. ;)

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Since you use the free version, at least I assume that from this post, what does the free version lack that the Premium has?

Thanks,
    Jerry

16. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Spyware/Adware detection and email protection.

17. mercurie

Thats right Drew. ;) Items that are primarily covered by BOClean for me.

Oh yes and the Premium folks get there own update server.

18. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

No nag screen either, which is a HUGE feature :D

19. mercurie

:D LOL :D Whoops, I forgot that one :oops: :D

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Drew,
    Thanks for the reply. I knew it did not scan POP3 mail, and I think it would prevent infection if malware attempted to install. At least that is what they say.

Maybe since I am using the trial of the Premium the update situation has been different. It was not problem during the last week on dial-up.

Thanks again both,
    Jerry

21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Using Antivir and OA im feeling snug as a bug in a rug! and my pc is running like a Mercedes for once well ok BMW :D MD

22. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Exactly. Default install options are fine for average users, for those who wish to roll up their sleeves and really fine tune the settings...it also has those options if you wish. The control center allows a lot of granularity not found in other AV products.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am not now a user of NOD32. However, it is definitely on my short list of replacements for my present AV when its subscription expires. F-Prot is at the top of that list, largely because it has the Clouseau. So is Antivir because of what I see at AV-Comparatives. But NOD32 is way up there, too, mainly because of its IMON module that (AFAIK) affords protection when surfing the web.

QUESTION- When I surf the net, will AntiVir or F-Prot offer protection similar to that provided by NOD32's IMON?

24. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

They both have quality scan engines...however...I believe Antivir to be the better of the 2.

25. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AntiVir Classic (free) on a Dell D800 WinXP-Pro also runnung ZA v6.1.744.000, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware & SpyBot 1.3 and usually on DialUp but often on WiFi or DSL.

Average automatic, incremental Update is <30KB and <900KB for Hueristic a couple times a month. Very rarely have to wait on a Server, usually only when Program Updates of 6-12MB are released about every three months.

Less than 5% of my Updates have 'timed-out' at four minutes for Eight Servers Overloaded (or any other reason).

Very pleased with AntiVir :) for the past ten months, after nine years of NAV (had also tried McAfee, TrendMicro, Panda and others).

Another Test released showing AntiVir's excellent performance catching Trojans! In Deutsch, just (paste the URL in Babel Fish German-English)

Free is plenty for me, PopUp is taken care of by security setting (Shek's).

ZA and the AS free programs complement AntiVir very well, KAS & Ewido OnLine Scans always come up clean.

The price from AVIRA for Premium is €20 (Euros) of which €5 goes to charity, the £13 would be in UK Pounds Sterling and you should check your credit card company to see what it would be in your local currency.

Something to watch for is that some CC's have an extra add-on for conversion and others do not.

The price including (now in beta) Firewall has not been published.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.