AntiVir Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ....., Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .....

..... Registered Member

Does anyone know if the free version has any restrictions on license length and updates?

For example Avast Home allows (on a current license) 14months of program updates and unlimited amount of signiture updates (then you must obtain a new license).

Thanks.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well thats not really limitation if you ask me... Is it really so hard to take 15 seconds every 14 months to renew the license? I guess not.

Btw you can add Comodo AV to this list, though they use 1 time registration key which is then a lifetime license.

3. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

Hi all...

AntiVir is not like Avast in this respect. With Avast, you have to manually insert/update the license. In contrast, AntiVir updates the license itself automatically with no involvement from the user.

Best Regards...

4. .....

..... Registered Member

ardvark, cheers for that information.

RejZoR, its not for me... i don't care about updating a license every so often. Its for someone else, a customer (home user). I just want something thats gonna be running in the background permentantly without them ringing me up saying "what do i do now?!" etc.

5. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

You're very welcome :)

6. TAP

TAP Registered Member

AVG Free is permanently free and can forever be updated for a life time of the product as long as it's installed on your computer, no registrations, no license keys needed, just install it.

EDIT

I forgot to mention that AVG Free will automatically generate its own license key without any users interventions while installation process, but this license key has no expired date.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  7. .....

..... Registered Member

Cheers TAP, i'll have a look at AVG too. Didn't like it too much last time i looked it though.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Would you die if they call you once in 14 months? I guess not (again)...
    Or just create URL shortcut on their PC that points directly to registration page.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi , go for Avast in that case. The best oiption in this senario with good detection.

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

There are some people (seniors for example) who don’t know squat or don’t care about computer or antivirus programs. The best approach is to obtain a lifetime license for them (if possible with automatic upgrades) so they can be protected for a little bit longer then 14 months. Many of them won’t even notice outdated AV program, not to mention registration hassle etc….

tD

11. .....

..... Registered Member

Exactly my point tD. I want my customers to be protected for life (with upto date programs), not just a period of time. I used to sell licenses for paid programs(well not exactly sell, but obtain a license for my customers), but this got annoying as i would have often repeat phone calls regarding licenses etc. It gets boring after some time dealing with the same issues all the time.

Does AntiVir's updater also update program modules?

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes it does.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Most AV programs do update program modules alongside the database updates. The only AV I can think of that doesnt automatically update program modules is eScan (you have to go to the FTP and download the whole setup file again.)

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well Kaspersky is following the same method. Except they offer setup without databases for a bit smaller download if you're just upgrading. Still not as slick as avast! program updater, AntiVir or BitDefender updater which all fully update entire product, not just sigantures.

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Never misses a chance, wot!o_O

16. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Why are you breaking the sentence in the middle?

It was

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.