AntiVir - Problems following last Major Update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acro, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acro

acro Registered Member

I’ve been using AntiVir [free] for a year or more without problems and like it very much.

Yesterdays update, which seemed quite substantial requiring a re-boot, gives me problems with scans locking up and not responding on completion and I am unable to update the software.

I use Acronis Trueimage so restored an Image. 24 hours later following AntiVir update the problems return.

I’m using XPpro SP2, AVG 7.5, AVG AS 7.5, Adaware Plus, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Spyblocker, Kerio 4 PFW 4.22 and Firefox 2.0.0.3.

I also use Ccleaner amongst other odds and ends.

No changes before and after the update but the problems persist.

I’ve checked the Support Forum but translating from German isn’t conclusive apart perhaps from AntiVir not liking long file path names, which mine is ?.

Has anyone else experienced problems with this update.

Edit: Enabling Roottkit or not has no effect on theses issues.
    Apologies, I didn't realise AntiVir is often referred to as Avira, otherwise I might have posted this in another thread.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

You should only have one AV installed on your system.
    That maybe what the problem is, try uninstalling AVG
    and see if it clears up.
    Two AV's will cause alot of problems.

3. acro

acro Registered Member

The update was normal so I would have been surprised if the Update process installed a second copy of the program.

Following restoration of my Image which I created on 20th April AntiVir works normally.

I was inclined to a clean install just to play safe so I downloaded the current program version. I then uninstalled AntiVir and did a clean install.

The dates for the engine and virus definitions on this installation were 13 April and 16 April respectively.

I can only assume Roottkit is then installed thereafter as part of an update but I couldn’t update to find out. The file dates suggest the pre-Roottkit version.

I had the same problems as previously so I resorted to Acronis Trueimage again.

Rather strange since I would have expected the version I have just downloaded to include Roottkit.
    Since it seems not to I would have expected AntiVir to behave normally just as it does after restoring the Image I previously created which is dated 20th April.

Not sure how easy that is to follow but something odd is happening.

Sorry Kr4ey I misread your post. I thought you were referring to a second 'copy' of AntiVir.
    I've had two Anti Virus programmes running for a long time and would have thought many others do the same.
    I might do as you suggest though just in case.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  4. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I'm not having any problems with AntiVir, I have the Rootkit scanner enabled.
    I have noticed alot that the Avira servers are real real slow.
    The rootkit feature is downloaded as a update.
    Is your AVG AntiVirus set as realtime scanning or on demand?
    If its realtime that is most likely the problem.
    There could be a conflict between Avira and AVG after the rootkit update or one of your other security apps.
    Five spyware apps is a little overkill in my opinion. Maybe you should try uninstalling a few and see how it goes.
    I use TrueImage too, it has helped me out alot when something goes wrong.

5. acro

acro Registered Member

At the risk of taking you too literally I :

Disconnected from the net to ensure no updates
    Restored the last ‘good’ image before the AntiVir update
    Uninstalled all security software apart from AntiVir and Kerio PFW
    Ran Registry Mechanic

Updated AntiVir – rather slowly

Same problems as before.

Looks like something else on my system doesn’t like the latest incarnation of AntiVir.
    I’ll wait awhile and dabble further after I give this some further thought.

I couldn’t imagine not having Acronis Trueimage or similar.

6. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I had the same problem, scans froze at around 50% completed. I downloaded the latest installation file from the website and uninstalled the old version completely and then installed the new version. That did the trick here, you may want to try that rather than updating the older version.

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Could you please also try to install AntiVir without the Guard and Rootkit detection enabled? Possibly, the on-access guards of AntiVir and AVG collide here.
    Also note, when you scan the system with AntiVir and have the AVG guard active that all the files that AntiVir opens to scan are also scanned by the AVG guard. This slows down the scan considerably!

8. waters

waters Registered Member

No problems here and no avg installed

9. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I installed the six month trial of Avira Premium this week, and after the last update, my AV scan stalled soon after starting. Check your Antivir\Temp directory in the Documents and Settings area and see if there are a bunch of files in there.

As for a 2nd AV program, you can have one INSTALLED, as long as you aren't running it at the same time as Antivir. For example, you state you've loaded AVG. Make sure it's services are disabled and none of it's dll's or exe files are loading at startup. Sysinternals' Autoruns should help you with that. Some of these programs still have a dll file or two loading with explorer, even though no processes are listed in the task manager.

I've been using Win Patrol along with Spybot's Teatimer or Spyware
    Terminator (switched and can't seem to decide which is better). Avira seems to recommend not using any if you use their premium version. Since you have the free version, you might want to run a resident shield blocker if you're not using the payware version of AVG AS.

Is there any reason you're running Spyware Guard? I thought Javacool hasn't updated that program for several years.

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

@Stefan Kurtzhals:
    I have to revise my posting above, I still have the problem of the rootkit scan freezing. If I check to scan for rootkits at the start of a system scan, it freezes during the rootkit scan when it gets to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\... and if I run just a rootkit search, it freezes at ControlSet003. I have to kill it with the TaskManager to end it. In the support forum there are other people with this problem, but they don't seem to be getting any solutions. Something is obviously not working right here, so I've had to uncheck Rootkit scanning. BTW, this XP Home with SP2 and hardware firewall (no other security apps).

11. acro

acro Registered Member

Many thanks for the replies.

Using Trueimage I can quite easily create and restore Images so I’ll restore an earlier Image and uninstall everything that is suspect.

I’ve downloaded Autoruns which may help in ensuring I have not left anything behind after running Registry Mechanic.

I’ll then try a clean install of AntiVir.

Assuming I get that far and everything works as it should, I’ll re-install some, not all, of the other security software and try and deduce what is causing the problems.

I wasn’t aware of the potential problems of running two anti virus programmes.
    If need be I’ll happily live with AntiVir as the sole virus program since I rate it highly.

Not 100% convinced it is the other security software causing the problems but it is the obvious place to start.

12. acro

acro Registered Member

Disconnected from the net
    Used Acronis Trueimage and restored a ‘good’ image prior to update
    Uninstalled all security software including AntiVir but excluding Kerio PFW
    Ran Registry Mechanic and JV16 Reg Cleaner
    Checked with Autoruns and nothing untoward
    Re-booted

Installed latest version of AntiVir with Roottkit and as previously on completion of a scan it stops responding.

Many thanks again for the help but I think I’ll see what happens over the next couple of weeks and decide how to proceed.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

I uninstalled prior Avira-free, installed new one. But it wouldn't update. The updater wouldn't run at all, even with all my other security apps disabled.

Restored image & tried again twice. Same results. I have switched to AVG for now. Will try Avira again in 3 weeks or so, but I must say -- trying to update Avira is rather unpleasant nowadays. From this standpoint, at least, DrWeb remains the unequalled standard-of-excellence.

14. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I have AntiVir installed on several of my clients PCs. They all updated smoothly to the version with the rootkit scanner. No one has mentioned any problems with the rootkit scanner itself. 2 have had problems getting updates since then, but that problem is their servers.
    Rick

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I started a thread about Avira SS scans freezing. I should have looked closer to see this before I started mine. I realize now that the scan was freezing during the Rootkit scan. I uninstalled Avira SS and installed Avira PE Premium. I ran a scan and thought everything was ok.

Tonight I wanted to check something out on my PC, and surprise to me, a scan is running. Strange since I didn't start the scan, and my scheduled scan is set for Mondays at 10 PM. I can't say whether it froze during the Rootkit scan because it was already passed that. The scan took 16 minutes, 22 seconds to complete. A little quicker than normal. Very strange things happening since the major update. I'm going to run another scan tomorrow to see what happens. Hopefully my normal scheduled scan tomorrow night will start also.

I wish all the gremlins get the hell out of here and let Avira run smoothly on my PC as it has in the past.

16. acro

acro Registered Member

I suspect the vast majority of users have no problems following this update.

Hopefully people following this and similar threads will realise that they are primarily a request for assistance and do not suggest that everyone will experience problems with the current version of this application.

In my case following the update, or following a clean install, I cannot undertake any further updates – on selecting ‘Update’ nothing happens.

I can scan files and the indication is that the scan has successfully completed.
    On selecting ‘End’ to close the scan window it locks up and the program fails to respond.

I have only attempted a scan with the default setting so I’m not certain if Roottkit is in effect or not.
    I didn’t pursue this aspect since whatever is happening it is obviously unacceptable.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Your problem has been reported and confirmed by several at the Avira forum.

18. acro

acro Registered Member

Thanks very much Mele20.

I anticipated having to give up on AntiVir.

If others have the identical problems then there is every likelihood Avira will resolve it – hopefully.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Actually, on reading your post again...maybe I misunderstood. It is not clear to me if you are talking about running a full scan of the computer and when it finishes it hangs when you click end or are you talking about right click scanning of individual files ...say ones you have just downloaded? It is the latter situation that has been confirmed by several...myself included ...in the Avira thread. Avira's first response was a bit snippy and incredulously asked the OP why he wanted to right click scan an individual file as that was unnecessary and so it didn't matter if Avira hung on the "end" button. The Avira tech later apologized and said he was tired from working so hard to get the release out. He asked the OP to post some logs and that is where it stands now.

20. acro

acro Registered Member

The scans I undertook were ‘right click scanning’ of individual files.
    The scans seemed to complete which was confirmed in the Reports.
    I didn’t bother with a full scan of the PC – didn’t seem a good idea in the circumstances.

Looks like we have the same problem and we are not alone.

Thanks

21. Graystoke

I'm not sure if I should be letting lose my feelings in this thread, but here goes anyway.

I installed Avira SS again. Ran a full system scan, and it froze again during the Rootkit scan. :mad: I decided to skip the support forum route and go directly to tech support to see if they had any answers. What a convoluted mess that is. Maybe it's just me, but I found it very difficult to find where things were. Telephone numbers are listed for several European countries. What good does that do me in the US? I couldn't find a tech support e-mail address. I tried logging into my account, thinking that might be the way to go. Evidently I don't have an account. Big surprise to me, since I do remember registering.

I finally decided enough is enough and removed Avira, and now using a different suite. Avira is a very good AV/Suite, but contacting support is a nightmare.

22. acro

acro Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is your problem but it seems updates will not take place unless you install AntiVir in the default directory.

This was one of my problems which is now resolved.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

There basically is no support even for Premium and Suite (no email support and that is why you couldn't find an address) except the forum if you live in the USA. Forum support only is ok for the free version but for paid versions? I don't think so. Plus, sometimes it seems that some of us get sort of ignored in the forum...vocal persons like myself..I praise Avira when praise is warranted and there are many things to praise about it, but I also am very vocal when there is problem. I do my best to be polite and if I do get a little snippy when real tired...doesn't happen often but has once or twice...I apologize as soon as I have had some rest and am more objective. Still, I sort of get a feeling that I am considered an "irritant". :D That would not bother me if there were alternative methods of support...but the forum is it. I think the techs in the forum are very sincere and do their best but I do think sometimes they lag on some posts from the users they consider "irritants". I've had to ask again or post a new thread sometimes. The best forum is KAV and they also have email and phone support. I never used their phone support but have used the email and it was ok but their forum is outstanding and that is due to Don Pelotas and a few regulars who know KAV inside and out. KAV is really to be commended on their forum.

In Avira's defense their prices on the Premium version (not the Suite) are VERY reasonable so I can see not providing phone support but they should have email for Premium and email and possibly Phone for the Suite for USA buyers...at LEAST email support and they don't.

I think it wise to just not use the rootkit scanner for now. Don't even install it. Avira will fix its bugs and eventually it will be a fine edition to Avira but for now I say stay away from it.

24. Graystoke

Yes they should have e-mail support for US customers. If they want the US market, then they should offer more than just a support forum for paying customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.