AntiVir PE Free shuts down after update!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macaroni, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macaroni

Macaroni Registered Member

Some time over the last few days, AntiVir Pe started shutting itself down completley after an update.

It automatically launches to the task bar on computer startup, as normal. I do the update and allow the update program to shut itself, when it does this AV is no longer in the taskbar.

Anyone else know about or experiencing this problem?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It doesn't do that here. It is working just fine.

3. FRug

FRug Registered Member

It's not shutting itself down, it's just the task icon missing. The protection is still present, only the icon isn't there.

4. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

Just wanted to comment... I'm pretty new to AntiVir PE; I've been using it without issue for about two weeks. RE: the 12/18 update, the software updated and wanted to restart. Usually I would just allow it, but at the time I was busy and thought I'd do it later. Shortly thereafter, I needed to be away from the PC for a few hours and when I returned - I realized that the AntiVir Guard had been shut down !!! (I had never restarted it.) I did have an icon in the system tray, but the umbrella was closed. My thoughts are... On the one-hand the PC wasn't being used so what's the big deal? On the other hand... I can't say I was very happy about the AV Guard being off. Still it's free... and it is great performance and value for the $$$ :)

I haven't yet found the perfect AV software solution... Any thoughts? Anybody o_O

5. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Rob: that was a different glitch which apparently has been fixed, but the fix can't be seen in some cases since there is the new bug with avgnt not properly getting restarted. In both cases however your protection is still there and actively doing its job, you just can't see the tray icon (new bug) or the status it shows is incorrect (old bug which has been fixed).

6. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

FRug... Thank you for the explanation. However, in my case AntiVir DID prompt me to restart the PC (I did not)... I did see a tray icon... but the umbrella (being closed) indicated to me that the Guard was deactivated. That was surprising and unexpected. If you say that it really WASN'T deactivated... we'll OK. I'll keep my eyes open in the future and see what's what. Still like the SW though.

Regards,

7. FRug

FRug Registered Member

The reboot is because some components have been replaced by the update that require a restart, not all low level drivers can be loaded/unloaded during runtime on a windows system.

8. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

This mornings automatic update caused to me too the umbrella icon to disappear, however avguard.exe is running. And protects as tested by Eicar.
    I did not get any reboot asking prompt though.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I noticed the same thing. Updated and then tray icon was just gone, even though processes seem to be running. At least some of them.

10. DaveD

DaveD Guest

This happened to me again last night as well. This is really getting annoying.

11. gismo999

gismo999 Registered Member

I also have the same issue, but, just to make me feel better.......I go

Start> Programs>System tools> Security Center> and check Virus Protection and this tells me my anti virus is working.

But thats just me :)

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Just an ongoing problem. It is strange to me that such brilliant programmers and designers seem to be unable to fix about three relatively minor, but irritating problems.

I know I keep harping on this, but I liked Avira, and only the minors made me abandon it. In 6 months, when my F-Secure license expires I will take another look at it maybe.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. raymond119053

raymond119053 Registered Member

i am also having the tray icon (avgnt.exe) not showing after updates problem. There is an additional problem in the windows security center that your virus monitoring is finding more than one a/v installed. These problems have only started with the 217 build update. Av guard will continue to protect without avgnt.exe running but memory use will be 27-29 megs. Av guard and avgnt must communicate with each other for optimal performance. Restart avgnt.exe from the antivir folder or with task manager and everything returns to normal. I uninstalled antivir, stopped the WMI service from running, deleted the wbem repository folder and than restarted WMI and that removed the windows security center multiple a/v problem. I than reinstalled antivir build 180 and everything was back to normal. When i got my next update build 217 was back and so was the problem. I myself am not giving up on antivir, i uninstalled virusscan 11 ($ 70.00 worth of software) because it slowed my comp way down and just kind of took it over. Antivir works great and it's free. I am just going to keep restarting avgnt.exe until avira solves this problem.

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Apparently a fix is on the way

"Great news: this problem was reproduced a few times and was fixed too. The fix will be available soon. With version 1.02.09.40 of updlib.dll, to be more precise."

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Registered Member

Yes, the penny dropped shortly after I posted this and logged out. I checked under task manager and yes, the avgaurd was launched ok, just the icon missing.
    On one of my recent updates the tray icon seemed to stay so I thought the problem was fixed, but now it dissappears again.

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Using Premium, I lost my tray icon for the first time 2 days ago. Recent update fix seems to have solved the problem (for now?)

17. ultranet

ultranet Registered Member

I been using anti vir for long time. But these days every time I logged to net it says that it needs to be updated. But I updated it already but shows the message everytime. I wonder why.
    Care to comment?

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Damn. When are they gonna fix this thing. It just died again. This sux big time... :rolleyes:

19. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Argh I wonder why i dont get these problems. Could people have to many processes running at start up?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ to check what you should/shouldnt run at start up. Performance wil probably be better if you do so.

Y - This status flag means that this entry should be left alone and be allowed to run as if it is unchecked it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.
    N - This status flag means it is unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts as you can run it manually when necessary.
    U - This status flag means it is up to you whether or not you feel this program needs to run automatically.
    X - This status flags means the item should definitely not start up automatically. Items that have this flag are generally malware such as viruses, trojans, hijackers, spyware but could also be programs that are not desirable to run on your computer.
    ? - This status flag means the status of this entry is unknown at this time and more research is necessary.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Trust me, process count has nothing to do with that. 28 processes which include running WinAMP and Opera browser (so 26 total atm). And i haven't cleaned up uneeded processes from Creative since i don't care much because i have 1,5GB of RAM...

21. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Have also seen an intermintant failure of the Tray icon to load following an Online Update since Tuesday, the 19th.
    Have never had the problem of Win Security seeing double..

AVIRA has promised an updated updlib.dll from version 1.2.9.39 to .40 will fix the icon glitch.

This being a seriously observed Holiday Season (most of AVIRA probably went to the beach):cool:
    so we may have to wait on version 1.02.09.40 for a little while.

For a 'quick-fix' in the meantime, you could do the following:

In your AntiVir Program Folder, right-click avgnt.exe, select [Send To]
    and click [Desktop (create shortcut)].

A click on that shortcut will load your icon and quickly reduce the AvGuard's RAM use.

Even if you do nothing, RAM use after Update will go from 27+MB back down to a normal 1MB to 4MB after a short while.

22. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

Thanks , this is working :)

23. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I've just installed a fresh version of Antivir classic on one of my setups earlier today, updated fine first but have just got todays update and the tray icon disappears, so looks like they still haven't fixed it.

24. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Hi Londonbeat,

I had the same problem using the premium edition, although I found the solution was to use the Change function in the Add or Remove Programs located in the Control Panel. Click Modify and hit next, in the new window ensure all the options are ticked and then hit next. The program will update and you will be asked to restart your computer, once the computer is restarted the icon is back and working!

I have applied this solution to two computers and have not had any further problems with updates;)

Cheers,

Thorny

25. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Hi Thorny

I've just tried that but it didn't offer a restart, it updates the program but then says it's finished and only gives the option to finish and the tray icon is still missing. If I restart it manually it'll come back but from what i've read this'll keep happening everytime I update

Thanks,
    Londonbeat

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.