AntiVir Incremental VDF-Update Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No,you have to do it this way...

"C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\INETUPD.EXE" /UDE /EXP

But this scheduling thing is perfectly useless. I was playing some online game when smart AntiVir launched this crap. Result was that game just minimized itself because AntiVir "crap" updater jumped on screen and took focus of the full screen app. I made a special updater that forced the window to be started minimized,but same thing happened. Removing /UDE switch doesn't help at all because i get the dialog anyway.
    Thats why i'm so pissed over it's updater. AVG and avast! can update itself perfectly silent...

2. sphoenix

sphoenix Guest

I agree this is not go for me either, I'll go back to trend micro 05....

3. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

By now I perfectly know, that the only antivirus program in your mind is:......AVAST.
    Try to see and report positive things as well about Antivir, as it is a pretty good AV scanner. You're even talking about 'crap', but I don't think this is right. Man ....oh man....you should start a shop selling Avast, so you won't have time anymore calling other programs 'CRAP'.

Putin. :mad:

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The incremental update seems to work fine, but the lack detection of spyware for the free version, the annoying scheduler of the updates and the old design are very bad...

The rest is very good :)

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well these updates are indeed better,but i wouldn't call 300+ KB an incrimental update. With avast! and AVG you get only few KB (lets say 35KB for a regular update). It's improvement i don't deny that,but it could be better...

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

For me is 30KB!

If you are a lot of time without updating, maybe you will get that number...

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm,weird. Whenever i updated i got 320KB and no more or less.

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I believe that RejZor feels as I do, Antivir is a good scanner/monitor, but the updater was crappy and it still is IMO. I keep trying it every so often and after about 2 weeks of fooling with their updater, I remove it out of frustration. The new updater is a step in the right direction with smaller update files but still is a pain in the ARSE. I uninstalled it this morning after only a week.
    Being a good scanner & free does not justify having a lousy updater.
    Otherwise I have found it to be a very good AV.

9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

@ ALL : I get 320Kb update constanty as well.

@VaMPiRiC_CRoW: How is the spyware detection for non free one? And I am glad that AntiVir Free at least have some option to protect against Dialers, Blackdoor... etc

@putin: RejZor may be a true Avast Zealot, but what he said isn't completely wrong. The product may not seem crap to me now, but if the updater constanly popup while playing games i will certainly use language worst than that.

The only reason we complain is because we like it and want it to improve? Antivir in terms of Detection Rate isn't bad at all. Make a slient update switch, Change the 10 icons in the program into some nice new modern looking icons. These two are simple additions to make a GREAT difference!

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Some AV's already have a good detection of spyware, and the others version of AntiVir also have it. I only said that this free version doesn't have it...

11. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I am just saying that the AntiVir PEC doesn't detect spyware! What is the problem of this!? Isn't true?

Besides this, the ugly GUI and their update scheduler, the program is very good...

And I don't like AVG... :p

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I received an update with 325KB, but it download a new version of VDF file and AVRep.dll, that could be the reason for these difference of sizes...

14. minacross

minacross Registered Member

today's update is about 4.5kb :rolleyes: wow :eek:

Attached Files:

15. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O This appears to be good news. How was the ability to contact the URL? Eye candy never did bother me about AntiVir, it was the gawd awful hassle of maintaining it that I complained about. I still think that H+BEDV is a little to arrogant however, an the updater would appear to still be the major drawback.

Thanks
    Wildman

16. wildman

:rolleyes: Apparently the situation with the server(s) for AntiVir/Classic has not changed, they still SUCK! Why anyone would put up with this if the don't have to is beyond my understanding. Is AntiVir/Classic really that good of a program that the hassle to maintain it is worth it? I think it safe to say that H+BEDV will not be doing a damn thing to correct this situation? Once again I hate to say it, but it looks like the Wildman has been correct for a very long time now.

Thanks
    Wildman

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Quite correct. The AVPE-C server provides completely adequate service, and that fact has NOT changed.

I update daily, & my download speed from that server is always 150-225 KBps. Complete signature updates take only ~2 seconds. As I have mentioned repeatedly, all that is needed is to D/L after the following hours: 8PM EST, 7PM CST, 6PM MST, 5PM PST, 2AM Greenwich MT.

I recommend AVPE-C to those who use my websites. To date, all users have reported equally satisfactory results -- except, of course, for those on dial-up. Updating AVPE-C with dial-up will remain an extreme PITA until the incremental updater is finalized.

18. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well, ever since i have got the slicent update to work. I never notice its speed, it just sliently update itself in the background every 2 hours.

So far it is working quite well. And time and time again when i test the update services it seems a lot faster. I think it will improve even more when it is out of Beta.

I think AntiVir have a lot of potential. I just hope that the developer will listen. ( I don't know why i cant register in their forum...... >< )

19. wildman

:rolleyes: After years of dealing with AntiVir/Classic, I have come to the conclusion that even though it may appear to be a good program, the company behind it leaves quiet a bit to be desired. The server(s) have been abysmal from the beginning, an even though individuals have complained an tried to work around this, H+BEDV appears helpless to do anything constructive in this area. The new version once out of BETA may help, but I don't think it will resolve the entire situation. I like you once thought that this program had great potential, I still do, however the company behind it appears to be the hindrance, for whatever reason they appear unwilling or unable to come into todays world in regards to this program. I have heard rumors that their paid version is antiquated as well. The only reason I still give a damn about this is because the other "free" programs appear to take quiet a bit of memory, other than that the other "free" programs are a much better bet in my opinion. FYI In my opinion Castle Cops is the better forum about AntiVir for the English speaking users. Again if you have no memory issues with your machine the other "free" protection programs are a better bet.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :p

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lack of riskware detection in free edition makes me not to use this program...
    Paying for such incomplete program is certanly not an option.

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The paid version of AVPE does cover other forms of malware. Therefore, if you pay you do get a *more complete* program.

However, if you decide to pay, IMHO there are several better choices than the paid version of AVPE -- NOD32, DrWeb, & KAV come immediately to mind as prime examples.

I am a big fan of the free version of AVPE but not the paid version.

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Isn't Riskware, but Adware and Spyware...

And this is the reason that also makes me not using this AV...

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And what else is adware and spyware other than riskware :D ;)

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Aren't the same...

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

what's about antivir , is a great av?
    i have never tried it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.