Antivir free classic VERSUS paid premium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Metting, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metting

Metting Registered Member

Hi all

Where to find a comparison between AntiVir free Classic & paid Premium ?

I checked Avira's website , but nothing was mentioned there!

Any advise ?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

http://www.free-av.com/

this is the website for the classic version but it tells you the advantages of the premium version near the bottom hope this helps

lodore

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I think the main advantages are adware/spyware detection and true email scanning.

I have to point out. I've heard the Classic version does manage to detect SOME, if minimal, spyware/adware, is this true?

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I have used SpyBot S&D v1.3 (1.4 is stronger) latest Spyware Blaster and AdAware for two years since buying this WinXP(SP2) Dell D800 and I use Dialup 100+ hours a month and WiFi or DSL 'on the road' 50+ hours a month.

Shortly after replacing Norton AntiVirus and Firewall with ZA (free) and AntiVir (free) I ran the first Ewido Scan and it removed 13,000+ items of malware (mostly 'tracking cookies').

Now, since eight months of AntiVir, I have run four more Ewido Scans and they have detected zero malware.

AntiVir Classic (free) has "Extended threat catagories" box:
    [​IMG]
    This would be the "...SOME, if minimal, spyware/adware..."

It would be a good practice to also have several of the better (some really 'worse' out there too) AntiSpyware/Adware applications running, even if you have AntiVir Premium.

Attached Files:

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

supposedly premium users get better update servers, but i havent tried the classic version of antivir so i cant judge that for myself.

6. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

According to the virus.gr results the difference between the Classic and the Premium version was:
    0.05% (1) Windows Virus
    21.15% (1643) Malware samples (Adware, DoS, Constructors, Exploit, Flooders, Nukers, Sniffers, SpamTools, Spoofers, Virus Construction Tools, Droppers, PolyEngines.)
    0.14% (111) Trojans/Backdoors

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Anyone have High CPU with AVir..i seem'd to with the Premium,maybe its how i set it up wrong , duno if it was the mail side of things... i noticed it scans like Nod32 files in background, is the free version lighter?.... there's no folder exclusion in it is there?.... Avast still seem's the lightest for me but i do have the premium of antivir maybe i set it up wrong or something... MD

8. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

When I used AntiVir PE Classic 7 (Now I'm using AOL AVS) I didn't have any problems with the updates

Yes, there is folder exclusions in the Classic Version. Just select a folder instead of a file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.