antivir and f-secure adware.pop

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

its also called adware.admes i think but the thing is the laptop is showing no simptions and antivir detected nothing as far as i know.

I have tryed a game on the laptop whihc has antivir on it and it plays fine.

but on my desktop with f-secure it picksup adware.pop is this a false positve of what?

http://games.yahoo.com/games/downloads/cz.html;_ylt=AuACbknmD42TZDoH0r6pNAOQ6n0u
    a game on yahoo games called Chuzzle

notice to mods as far as im aware this is not a live malware link but remove as needed to.

lodore

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've no idea whether it's a FP, but since the free version of AntiVir does not detect adware, that could explain why one scanner picks it up and the other doesn't. (Free AntiVir is very good at detecting the trojans that drop spyware - but that's a different matter from inviting adware in, bundled with a game).

You could upload the file to Jotti's or VirusTotal, or check it with a spyware scanner. It would hardly be the first time a game has had adware bundled with it, but sometimes the adware is not very heinous; still, it's good to know whether it is adware or not.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

woops i forgot to say it is the prmium version of antivir

4. JWood

JWood Registered Member

Ad-Aware found adware.pop on my desktop at home. Both Spybot S&D and Windows Defender (Beta 2) did not detect "adware.pop". I have two pop cap trials installed (Pizza Frenzy and Hammer Heads). I've loved Pop Caps games for years, but I rarely install their trail versions. Pop Cap claims to not use spyware and spam. I'm going to uninstall the trials and test again afterwards.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok cool. i didnt think they did. but f-secure told me they did.

6. JWood

JWood Registered Member

Well, I finished my demo times and uninstalled the games. Unfortunatly, that did not get rid of the Adware.pop dectected by Ad-Aware, even after rebooting. I removed the adware entries even though I've heard that it is harmless.

I still play popcap's games online, and the "adware" is easily removed. I may not install demo games from popcap in the future tho.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it does seem its harmless and it doesnt seem to be detected by anything but ad aware so it cant be that dangerous becuase if it was spysweeper, nod32 , kaspersky and so on would detect it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.